Google is proud to boast a network that provides service to millions of Internet users around the world. The Network Operations and Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Google’s complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which require you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience working with either network fundamentals (TCP/IP, ARP, IP Tables, routing) or Unix systems administration, including coding (Java, C/C++) or scripting experience in shell or Python.
- Available to work full time for a 12-14 week internship during the summer.
- Support the team as network stability and performance – ensuring 24×7 operations and resolving service impacts as they occur.
- Build knowledge in network and system performance analysis and tuning optimizations.
- Support senior team as they rack and stack, install, commission and test routers, transport (DWDM) equipment, and other network devices in new and existing network nodes across Google’s global network.
- Work with network engineers performing colocation, data center and fiber audits.
For more information please visit https://careers.google.com/jobs/results/138101133647192774-network-operations-and-engineering-intern-summer-2019/?company=Google&company=YouTube&hl=en&jlo=en-US&location=Reston,%20VA,%20USA