Virginia Paving Company, a large pavement producer and contractor is looking for a Summer Engineering Intern that will handle both office and field responsibilities to meet the project requirements, including implementation of scheduled work and tracking data. They will also be heavily involved in our Quality Control Department, testing mixes and monitoring quality.
The Summer Engineering Intern will track quantities, assist in the coordination between engineering and construction activities, and assist with quality control testing and communication.
· Responsible to archiving and recording all correspondence as directed
· Use accepted methods to inspect, sample and test aggregates, asphalt, concrete or other materials for the purpose of quality control.
· Sample and test mixtures for compliance with contract specifications and quality control tolerance.
· Monitor and test process functions and materials daily to ensure our products meet or exceed requirements of the appropriate agency or customer.
· Prepare and record accurate information; maintain test results data base.
· Ensure all safety & environmental codes, standards, and acceptable practices are adhered to at all times
· Site visits and investigations as needed
· Participation in weekly and monthly safety meetings
· And other duties as assigned
· General. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each Key Duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
· Requires basic engineering knowledge in civil engineering.
· Proficient PC skills.
· Familiarity with construction industry practices is required. Must be able to understand communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
Physical Demands The following physical demands are representative of those.
· Regularly required to sit and/or stand during a regular work shift of at least eight hours per day.
· Employee is occasionally required to stoop, bend, walk, crouch, and climb.
· Ability to lift, on a frequent basis, at least 25 pounds and carry up to 15 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
· Continuous mental attention required to complete tasks in an efficient manner.
· Exposure to dust, dirt grease and noise.
· Work can be performed at heights up to 60 feet, requiring the employee to climb ladders, scaffolds and stair towers, often with narrow steps and passageways.
· Frequently walk on uneven surfaces, including natural ground and slopes in varying weather conditions.
· Must be able to work a flexible schedule, based on project need(s) and demand(s).