Handshake Link: https://gwu.joinhandshake.com/jobs/3033942/share_preview
During your internship at Arup, you’ll have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Initial ground support design
- Final lining design using structural analysis with hand calculations, structural software, etc.
- Field work and techniques associated with tunnel construction
- The wide range of disciplines and skills with Arup
- Internal training, both technical and non-technical
- The format, style and quality of our reports, calculations, plans, drawings and specifications
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent with emphasis on Structures, Geotechnics, Mining
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Professional demeanor
- Skills in planning and organizing
- Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
- EIT/FE Certification
- Internship experience with a design firm
- Coursework in Underground Design and Construction, Mechanical Tunneling and Construction, Concrete and Steel Design, Rock Mechanics, Soil Mechanics, Geology, Construction Management
- Geotechnical and Structural software skills, AutoCAD/Microstation skills
- Evidence of past internship or extracurricular activity in the field
- Proven ability to perform in a deadline environment
- Past history of technical presentation and technical writing
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
- 2nd Avenue Subway, New York
- Dulles International Airport Expansion, Washington, D.C.
- Gerald Desmond Bridge, Los Angeles
- Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building at Dudley Square, Boston
- WW Grainger Headquarters, Chicago
- Uptown District Mobility Improvement, Houston
- Nasher Sculpture Center Garden, Dallas
- Transbay Transit Center, San Francisco
- LEED Platinum Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Headquarters, Seattle
- Queen’s Way West Revitalization, Canada
- Agora Convention Centre in Bogota