On an average day, you will be:
• Synthesize research findings from AARP’s collection of resources, including primary and secondary research, databases, academic journals, surveys, consumer and market research, etc.
• Summarize research reports for internal distribution
• Create data visualizations
• Contribute to data analyses and write-up of findings
• Proactively distribute research from AARP’s collection of resources to internal stakeholders
• Apply innovative thinking and problem solving to challenges
• Conduct literature scans on research requests for stakeholders throughout the association.
• Perform company due diligence and people vetting
• Assist with special projects such as collection management
• Assist with library marketing and promotional events.
• Explore and demonstrate new and emerging technologies in the AARP Library collection, such as virtual reality (VR) technology
• Answer ad-hoc research requests as assigned
Customer Service Focused
• Provide face-to-face interactions at the Library’s Reference Desk (when we are not remote)
• Provide virtual interactions with clients
• Monitor and provide timely responses via the Library’s internal communication channels to help manage project in-take
Prospective intern must be currently enrolled in a Master’s-level degree program in Data Science & Analytics, Social Sciences, Research, Library and Information Science or a related field at an accredited college or university.
AARP also considers non-traditional interns who are looking to re-enter the workforce or change careers. This may include those who have previously graduated college and are now enrolled in a continuing education program.
• Excellent research, analytical, writing and critical thinking skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Skilled in data analysis
• Ability to synthesize research findings
• Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems creatively and independently
• Familiarity with social sciences and/or statistics and/or survey data and analysis
• Ability to create data visualizations
• Prior use and familiarity with statistical software packages such as SPSS
• Knowledge of library research databases
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a team
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and shift priorities as directed
• A strong commitment to providing outstanding customer service
• Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
• Inquisitiveness, organization, and keen attention to details
A writing sample is required.