Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Operational Standards & Compliance Intern will report to the Director of Operating Practices and Director of Evaluation and will work under Amtrak’s Safety, Compliance and Training (SC&T) group. The selected Intern will aid with assigned special projects as well as day-to-day business needs, with the primary focus being the achievement of Safety Management System project milestones, advanced communication technologies, automation of processes and rule interpretations, and analytics. The Intern will depart with knowledge of railroad safety, operating rules and procedures; project management techniques; safety analytics and advanced safety technologies (Positive Train Control technologies, Dispatching Systems (CATDS), Train Simulation software and technology, Electronic Documents and Communications, approval processes, accident & incident root cause, and corrective actions, etc).
- Proactively promote and identify opportunities for rule and instruction improvement.
- Maintain Amtrak Operating Practices intranet website and related Railroad Documents Interchange
- Discover and implement processes and procedures that aid with the efficient automation and structuring of rules and evaluation standards.
- Analyze data trends with testing non-compliance, major operating rules violations, employee observation and confidential employee reporting.
- Organize rule making processes and procedures supporting the various Amtrak mobile applications for standards and compliance.
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate/ or graduate degree in Logistics, Business, Emergency Preparedness, Political Science, Data Science, Industrial Engineering or another related field.
- Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Superior effectiveness in communication skills, including writing, speaking, and presentation/platform.
- Effective organizational, administrative, and personal computing skills as demonstrated through past experience.
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint (Tableau/Azure AD and/or SQL is a plus).
- Demonstrated drive, ambition, and leadership ability.
Job Family/Function:Safety & Security
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.