You are mission-driven and action-oriented. You love to get involved and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. You value diversity, equity, and inclusion and are eager to put those values into practice. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
Arabella Advisors seeks an organized and detail-oriented project manager with exceptional communication skills and experience in nonprofit operations and risk management. If you want the opportunity to work with a fast-growing and entrepreneurial team reshaping the charitable sector, then this job is for you. This is a new position that will partner with the compliance, legal, and finance teams, as well as account managers and project staff. This role will play a key role in shaping, monitoring, and evaluating how the firm assesses and manages risks to the nonprofit organizations it manages.
- Serve as primary manager for insurance coverage for nonprofit entities by:
- Reviewing and understanding policies to determine if they meet fiscally-sponsored projects’ needs; Anticipating insurance needs as entities grow and evolve; Responding to questions about insurance coverage
- Serving as project manager for annual insurance renewal process by working with stakeholders and collecting data from projects; acquiring new coverage for entities as needed;
- Collaborating with other departments to analyze, organize, and present quotes and policy information to firm leadership
- Supporting insurance claims management by collecting data, documents, and facilitating communication with outside counsel
- Serving as main contact for insurance broker; responding to questions and providing information external stakeholders as needed
- In partnership with Legal and Finance, project manage Arabella’s insurance renewals by:
- Reviewing and analyzing quotes from insurance broker, assisting with annual renewal process, assisting in acquiring new coverage as needed
- Facilitate annual worker’s compensation audit of workforce with CAT (HR) and underwriter
- Oversee minor safeguarding policies and process by:
- Maintaining and updating policies; Reviewing and approving contractor and grantee forms and policies; making recommendations and resolving questions
- Working with external stakeholders including nonprofit entity leadership, external contractors as needed to create related resources, explain policies, respond to questions, and make recommendations.
- Support other risk management initiatives by:
- Contributing to and assisting in the development of new initiatives to monitor and assess risk. Examples include a risk matrix, quarterly risk management meetings, and risk memo template
- Assisting with donor or governmental audits and litigation response by tracking and collecting information; contributing to the development of new processes
- Follow new developments and market trends in risk management and insurance.
- Contribute to firm’s reputation as a leader in fiscal sponsorship and nonprofit compliance.
- Contribute to the team and organization’s significant year-over-year growth by improving our systems, operations and processes
- Contribute to the achievement of important team objectives
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience
- Minimum five years of work experience; ideal hire will bring familiarity with insurance, risk management strategies, and practices which enable a firm to monitor and manage its risk exposure.
- Impeccable interpersonal and client relationship/customer service skills, comfortable with a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple demands, projects and deadlines
- Demonstrated financial acumen
- Ability to work independently and also collaboratively
- Ability to proactively problem-solve to identify both problems and potential solutions in a fast-paced environment
- Comfort with ambiguity and developing systems/processes where they didn’t exist before
- High level of computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), database programs, including Salesforce, and web-based communications tools
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to address complex service matters, implement and communicate service changes to everyone involved, and to coach teammates on how to apply the firm’s service standards
- The ability to manage large-scale and cross-firm projects, including delegating and managing all resources, identifying and implementing improved processes, monitoring consistency across project teams, and providing direction and support to teammates
- The ability to facilitate and negotiate among stakeholders with conflicting needs and to generate consensus among decision makers
- The ability to help effectively communicate difficult messages; to adapt style, tone, and content to meet various needs; and to coach teammates on crafting content.
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including encouraging and facilitating effective compromise, drawing on the capabilities of all team members, and leading team-level knowledge sharing
- The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team and project-level learning, including coaching others
- The ability to solve complex challenges by identifying innovative solutions and facilitating coordination with others
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. Click here to learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI statement.
Working with Us
While this position must be based in Durham or DC, please note that due to COVID-19, all Arabella Advisors’ offices are closed, and we remain a remote-first organization until further notice. We have a strong firm culture rooted in collaboration and in-person interactions between colleagues. To that end, once our offices reopen it is our expectation that all staff will generally work from the office according to a schedule agreed upon with their supervisor.
We offer a competitive and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and benefits. Our base salaries are based on a blend of similar sized organizations from different sectors, including nonprofits, foundations, and professional service firms. They are also based on local market rates and differentiated by geography. You’ll start with 16 days of vacation, 10 days of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive cultural and religious holidays and your birthday. Our competitive health package includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance, and our retirement package includes a 401(k) plan that is fully vested from day one. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
Arabella Advisors is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial equity. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We encourage you to read (or listen to) our DEI statement prior to applying. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and members of marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around DEI in the recruitment process.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses, and all applicants must already be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of application to be considered for this position.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.