Open to engineering students passionate about Mechanical Engineering who are ready to learn practical skills and gain real world experience. Come learn the design of human interfaces for aviation multifunction display products, and more under the direction of Senior Engineering staff.
We are looking for candidates with a strong foundation in Mechanical Engineering and a desire to build on that foundation with practical applications in the context of certified avionics equipment. No previous experience is necessary, but please share any of your fun or interesting relevant projects. The hours for this position are flexible, may be full-time or part-time, and can be set around your course schedule as necessary.
- Plan and manage mechanical activities within project scope, budget and schedule constraints.
- Design complex electronics sub-assemblies.
- Responsible for the design, layout, testing and evaluation of mechanical and electronic devices or systems.
- Perform environmental qualification test in compliance with DO-160.
- Prepare design specifications, prints, analysis and recommendations for presentation and approval.
- Analyze mechanical requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Consolidate results of mechanical design elements for assigned projects.
- Conduct investigations involving the origination or modification of material, component or process specifications or requirements.
- Perform product development activities including Solid Works layout and interpretation/implementation of MRD/PRD specifications and requirements.
- Translate requirements into a product or system that is cost effective, straightforward to manufacture, simple to test and easy to repair.
- Excellent communication skills with an emphasis on design presentation and design review.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques commonly used in product development.
- Knowledge in the design and fabrication of sheet metal, machined, cast and injected molded components.
- Ability to work on cross-functional teams and with outside suppliers.
- Proficient in the use of 3D modeling software (i.e., Solid Works preferred).
- Prototype development and fabrication using mill, lathe, drill press and 3D printer.
- Self-starter able to effectively estimate and track own schedule.
- Familiar with embedded electronics design and printed circuit board manufacture.
- Ability to delegate assignments to designers and technicians.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable Engineering or Science field with 2 or more years of related experience.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.2 or above.
- Experience with rapid prototyping, design verification testing, design for manufacturability (DFM), and thermal analysis and management required.
- Experience designing products in the following fields: aviation, aerospace, military, automotive, telecommunications, medical, etc.
- Experience defining and running mechanical, thermal and flow simulations using FEA.