Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) mission is to design, construct, and update the physical BNL plant to provide facilities where world class research can be performed. The MPO team is responsible for leading BNL’s efforts in facilities modernization.
Brookhaven National Lab’s Modernization Project Office (MPO) seeks an experienced Architect with a minimum of 3 years of design/construction experience in commercial and institutional building applications. Working on our internal A/E team of architects,engineers, project managers and construction staff, you will be engaged in design, construction management and project management.
Join the BNL team and become part of continuing to build and improve the facilities for science discovery!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
In this role, you will:
- Oversee project implementation and execution from concept through completion of construction
- Manage small to medium size projects, including design, job site surveys, bidding, inspections, and technical oversight
- Develop or assist in the development and management of project budgets including development of cost estimates
- Assist in or may be responsible for project scheduling, coordination, and project decisions
- Provide on-site supervision of projects during construction
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor of Architecture degree from an accredited institution
- 3+ years’ design/construction experience in commercial and/or institutional building applications. Experience with the AE design process and development of detailed specifications leading to construction documents
- Well-versed in applicable building codes
- Solid understanding of building technology, construction techniques, engineering practices, sustainability strategies and assembly of construction drawing sets
- Proficient skills in AutoCAD and MS Office
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams
- Good analytical, problem-solving, and judgment skills
- Self-motivated with ability to work with minimal supervision
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to model drawings in Revit
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to wear protective clothing (as necessary), work outdoors in warm and cold weather, and work around construction sites
- Requires NY State Driver’s License
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file