Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The C-AD Controls group has an opening for a 2 year term Assistant Physicist in Control Systems to establish new data science, artificial intelligence, and machine learning technologies (DS/AI/ML) into the C-AD accelerator control systems as well as collaborate to build infrastructure for DS/AI/ML for the Electron Ion Collider (EIC) control systems. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop new research effort with impact in DS/AI/ML for particle accelerators with the aim of improving the performance, operation, and maintainability of accelerator systems and beam quality
- Work with the control systems of the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) and analysis of accelerator data. This includes development of new software systems to integrate DS/AI/ML into the accelerator controls
- Understand accelerator data, how data is structured and managed, code development, documentation and proper code management
- Publish results of research and teaching members of controls, the C-AD department, and accelerator community
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related area
- Solid track record in disseminating research in journal publications and talks at conferences and workshops
- Strong research background in DS/AI/ML for accelerator systems
- Knowledge of DS/AI/ML applications as applied for accelerator systems and/or physics applications
- Under minimum supervision, is responsible for independent scientific inquiry in collaboration with other scientists and your supervisors
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accelerator controls systems design and implementation
- Knowledge of particle accelerator physics and basic beam dynamics
- Knowledge of accelerator data management
- Good understanding of DS/AI/ML tools such as Tensorflow, Scikit-learn
- Working knowledge and experience with Python
- Occasional travel for attending conferences and presenting research papers both nationally and internationally
- Initial 2 year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on performance and funding
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file