Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The purpose of the Training and Qualifications (T&Q) program at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is to ensure that BNL staff (i.e., employees, guests, users, visitors, and contractors) are trained and qualified to perform their assigned tasks and job functions. The Laboratory has established minimum training requirements in accordance with regulatory requirements for work to be performed, hazards that may be encountered, areas that will be accessed, potential for risk, and general site requirements. Our training team assists staff and their supervisors/management in ensuring that their training promotes the essential concepts and skills needed to maintain their job qualifications.
Brookhaven is looking for an experienced, Compliance and Technical Training Specialist to develop and deliver classroom, virtual, and online training to our diverse Lab population. This position has a high level of interaction within a multicultural and international scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop and deliver classroom/instructor-led, virtual instructor-led, and online/Web training in support of the Lab-wide Training and Qualifications Program.
- Identify training needs and translate requirements into meaningful and effective training programs.
- Work with requirements owners and subject matter experts to develop and revise training courses and materials (classroom, Web, OJT and blended) in support of program requirements and in accordance with training standards and requirements.
- Assist in the development of training standards, systems and procedures for Lab-wide use to ensure implementation of a systematic approach to training.
- Recommend improvements to training programs and courses to ensure compliance, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provide training assistance to staff upon request, including remediation.
- Communicate potential training issues and/or improvement ideas to the Training Manager.
- Participate in committees, cross-Lab collaboration and in training-related meetings.
- Participate in audits, investigations and drills as appropriate.
- Make presentations to Laboratory groups concerning training activities.
- Maintain training records and documentation in support of the Lab’s records management and retention procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Adult Learning, Science, Industrial Hygiene, or related field.
- 10 years of related work experience, including relevant knowledge of OSHA, radiological, chemical safety/industrial hygiene, contaminants, high-hazard, etc.
- Excellent written and communication skills, including ability to communicate effectively and professionally.
- Ability to manage multiple project independently and deliver quality training materials that meet regulatory and industry requirements.
- Knowledge of adult learning methodologies, such as ADDIE and SAM.
- Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience working in in a scientific or laboratory environment.
- Experience developing and delivering classroom training.
- Familiarity with online course development software, such as Articulate Storyline, Captivate, Lectora or similar tools.
- CPR certified.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds for classroom setup
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor