The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub (“CZ Biohub”) is an independent nonprofit medical research organization based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub supports scientific research to cure, prevent or manage disease in our children’s lifetime. Our mission is to understand the fundamental mechanisms underlying disease and to develop new technologies which will lead to actionable diagnostics and effective therapies. We harness the power and possibility of collaboration to drive discovery and set the standard for open, impactful science. For more information, please visit czbiohub.org.
As part of a collaborative effort that spans our Infectious Disease, Cell Atlas, and Technology Initiatives, we aim to comprehensively dissect the molecular processes that underlie viral replication and cellular immune responses across different viral families. We are seeking an outstanding Scientist to join the research group of Dr. Andreas Puschnik to develop and implement new functional genomics approaches for the interrogation of cellular pathways important for infection and immunity. Additionally, we will use genetic, cell biological, and molecular methods to dissect the activity of host factors on molecular level.
- The candidate will have the opportunity to spearhead a project that will involve:
- Molecular engineering of viral and cellular reporters
- Genome-scale and targeted mutagenesis using CRISPR-based editing techniques (e.g. Cas9, base editing, Cas13)
- Mechanistic studies that will leverage the collaborative and technology-rich environment at CZ Biohub (microscopy, proteomics, scRNA-seq, flow cytometry)
- Data analysis and presentation of results during lab meetings/seminars
- Author publications and mentor junior colleagues
- PhD (or equivalent) in Molecular and Cell Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Virology, Immunology, Bioengineering or related disciplines.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, transfection and lentivirus production.
- Expertise in CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing and/or related techniques (base editing, prime editing, Cas13 RNA editing).
- Hands-on experience in a wide variety of cell biology & molecular biology techniques including nucleic acid purification, qPCR, molecular cloning, Western Blot, fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry etc.
- Experience with large-scale screens and analysis of large datasets is desired.
- Experience with BSL-2 infection models is not required but a plus.
- Coding experience (e.g. Python, R etc.) is preferred.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team; excellent written and oral communication skills required.
Chan Zuckerberg Biohub requires all employees, contractors and interns, regardless of work location and type of role, to be fully vaccinated and show proof to Human Resources. New CZ Biohub staff must be fully vaccinated within 6 weeks of their start date OR a reasonable accommodation is approved for those that are unable to get vaccinated because of a disability or choose not to be vaccinated due to a sincerely-held religious belief, practice or observance.
What We Provide
Resources to disrupt and innovate at the frontiers of our knowledge of biology and disease.
A collegial and collaborative environment consisting of diverse expertise.
Existing collaborations within CZ Biohub: Advanced Optical Microscopy, Cell Atlas, Bioengineering, Data Science, Genome Editing, and Infectious Diseases.
Access to collaborators, resources and facilities at the three partner campuses (UCSF, Berkeley and Stanford) and at partner institutions in the Bay Area and beyond.
Competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with the experience.
We offer a robust benefits program that enables the important work Biohubbers do everyday. Our benefits include healthcare coverage, life and disability insurance, commuter subsidies, family planning services with fertility care, childcare stipend, 401(k) match, flexible time off and a generous parental leave policy. In addition, we honor our commitment to career development and our value of scholarly excellence through regular onsite opportunities to learn from the world’s leading scientists.
CZ Biohub is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity of thought, ideas and perspectives. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all Biohubbers feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. CZ Biohub does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. CZ Biohub will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with CZ Biohub.