Chicago Transit Authority is the second largest transit system in the country! Our college internship program offers summer and year-long internships that provide students with valuable work experience, professional development, and mentorship. Students receive exposure to the discipline of the workplace and are guided by subject matter experts who assist them in acquiring the skills, knowledge, and experience needed to perform in today’s technically demanding careers.
Interns at CTA work in a range of departments including:
- Administration Departments ranging from Diversity/EEO, Human Resources, Training and Workforce Development and more
- Board and President’s Office
- Finance and Purchasing
- Legislative Affairs and Government and Community Relations
- Safety and Security
- Transit Operations
Our internships are project-based; therefore, the skills that we seek vary based on the needs of the projects during each term. All majors are welcome to apply, but please see education experience/requirements for specifics about what disciplines each internship project is seeking.
Internships are part-time (15 hours a week) during the school year and full-time (40 hours a week) during the summer.
In this role within the Construction Safety unit, interns will:
- Review/interpret Construction Process Plan (CPP) and Safety Management Plans (SMP) as directed and supervised by Construction Safety employees.
- Review/Interpret construction drawing as directed and supervised by Construction Safety employees.
- Review/Interpret construction specifications as directed and supervised by Construction Safety employees.
- Assist with conducting safety observations/inspections as directed and supervised by Construction Safety employees and provide recommendations to mitigate hazards that may have been observed.
- Assist with on-site/off-site Construction pre-activity meetings by collaborating with the construction site management team.
- Participate with Project monthly Safety Meetings/Tours.
- Assist with maintaining/managing Observation Log and collect observation data for Weekly, Monthly and Quarterly Reporting.
- Assist with departmental goals and other duties as assigned.