The City of Norfolk Executive Internship Program is a ten-week program that provides work-based learning opportunities for qualified undergraduate and graduate students with a desire to work in public service at the local level. The competitive internship program is designed to offer students the opportunity to gain practical work experience, develop a professional network, and apply the knowledge gained in the classroom. Interns are placed in a department that best fits their field of study and career interest. The program allows students to make important contributions to the City through meaningful hands-on work assignments and projects. Interns are afforded professional development and networking opportunities through a variety of events and workshops that allow students to connect with various corporate interns and summer associates working in Norfolk. Interns gain insight into the functions, operations and public policies of municipal government that will better prepare them for a rewarding future career in local government.
The Norfolk Emerging Leaders Executive Internship Program is a ten-week paid program beginning June 6, 2022 – August 12, 2022. Interns are required to commit to 40 hours per week and be available to work the duration of the internship period.
This is a full-time position; 8:30AM – 5:00PM, Monday through Friday; hours may vary by department.
Program Dates: June 6, 2022 – August 12, 2022
Hiring Salary: $14.00
· US citizenship or legally authorized to work in the U.S.
· A desire to work in public service at the local level.
· Must have completed a minimum of 60 credit hours and be a junior, senior or graduate student currently enrolled at an accredited college or university.
· Students graduating before the start of the program (Spring 2022) are eligible to apply.
· Undergraduate students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher on a 4.0 scale and be in good academic standing as determined by the college or university.
· Graduate students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale and be in good academic standing as determined by the college or university.
· Be able to work 40 hours per week and available to work the duration of the internship period.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION & REQUIREMENTS
· Attach a letter of recommendation from an academic professor.
· Attach a current resume
· Attach most recent transcripts
· Complete a background check and drug screen. (Required for all participants 18 years of age or older)