Columbia Business School is seeking to hire one or more predoctoral Staff Associates of research for the accounting division. The work will include quantitative and qualitative research and analysis involving the collection, coordination and management of information and data. This predoctoral position provides an opportunity to gain experience in academic accounting and economics research and would be ideal preparation for a PhD program in accounting, finance, economics, or other related fields. This is a two-year position with a possible extension to a third-year.
The Research Staff Associate duties include:
• Collect, clean, and maintain datasets and databases. Extract and link data from multiple databases for analysis. Prepare detailed documentation.
• Develop models and implement program code (STATA, Python, SQL, R, SAS, Matlab, etc.).
• Perform statistical analysis, including regression analysis and machine learning techniques.
• Assist with data analysis and dissemination of findings through the preparation of reports, journal articles, presentations, web sites, and other research outlets.
• Perform case-based research, including work with detailed primary documents.
Minimum Degree Required:
Bachelor’s degree in Economics or Finance or Accounting or in a quantitative discipline such as Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering with coursework in Accounting, Economics and Finance.
• Programming experience in STATA and/or SAS and/or R is required.
• Additional programming experience in one or more of the following languages: Python, SQL, Matlab, and/or C++ is preferred.
• Familiarity with statistical tools such as linear regression is required.
• Familiarity with text parsing and analysis (natural language processing) and/or machine learning techniques is preferred.
• Candidate must be organized and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Up to two years of research experience in a research role as a research assistant during the academic year or a summer internship in a research lab or governmental institution.
• Bachelor’s degree in Economics or Finance or Accounting or in a quantitative discipline such as Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering with coursework in Accounting, Economics and Finance.
Please upload your transcript to “Other Document 1” when uploading your application documents.
The application must include your CV, transcripts, wcriting sample, and three reference letters.