Day-Star School is a family owned and operated K-12 bilingual school in Juticalpa, Olancho, Honduras. Founded in 1988, we have provided a quality bilingual education to the region for over 30 years. We have an employment opportunity for a Middle School Social Studies Teacher for the 2021-2022 school year. Day-Star School offers the opportunity to have a great teaching experience while being able to live abroad and experience a different culture.
Our preference is for prospective employees to have a teaching degree, but we are open to hire graduates with other degrees, a bachelor’s degree is required. At Day-Star we provide support and guidance to all our teachers. The staff is comprised mostly of Hondurans, the majority of whom are also bilingual. The owner operators of Day-Star are North Americans who have been working in Honduras since 1980.
A typical workday for a Junior High Teacher begins at 7:00 AM and ends at 3:00 PM. The daily workload is comprised of six 40-minute classes. There are also two periods for planning, a breakfast break and a lunch break. The classes taught are 7A-7B Latin America and Africa, 8A-8B United States and 9A-9B Europe and Asia. All classes are taught in English, emphasis must be placed on comprehension.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF A TEACHER AT DAY-STAR
– Prepare lesson plans
– Evaluate student progress
– Maintain discipline in the classroom
– Fill out necessary grading forms
– Communicate with parents about students’ progress
COST OF LIVING
The base salary allows teachers to live comfortably. Most foreign teachers save between 35% and 50% of their base salary each month. They are also able to travel to during holidays.
– Average price of a 2-bedroom apartment: 4000 Lempiras (~165.00 USD)
– Price of a meal at a restaurant: From 50 to 200 Lempiras (~2.00 USD to 8.00 USD)
– One Way Bus Ticket to Tegucigalpa: 200 Lempiras (~8.00 USD)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
– Yearly base salary of 224,000 Lempiras (9,000.00 USD)
– Monthly housing allowance of 6000 Lempiras (250.00 USD)
– Plus monthly signing bonus of 250.00 USD (deposited in US Bank Account upon request)
– Total yearly salary of 14,550 USD
– Reimbursement for round-trip airfare
– The school locates and furnishes air conditioned housing
– The school provides cellphone plan and home internet service
– Day-Star also provides medical insurance
– 1,000 USD bonus for teaching 2 years
INFORMATION ABOUT JUTICALPA
Juticalpa is located in the eastern part of Honduras. It is the capital of Olancho, the largest department. It is a commercial center for much of Olancho’s economy. The population is relatively large, but the area of the city is relatively small and retains a small town atmosphere. Most places that you will need to go are within walking distance.
Juticalpa has seen a recent rise in investments in the last 10 years. The city has many of the conveniences available in most parts of the world, like shopping malls, super markets and movie theaters. All the Honduran banks have offices in Juticalpa. Wi-Fi connections are also readily available. The city also has a variety of restaurants close the center of the city. The price of the food is very accessible.
In recent years, Honduras has fought hard against crime and insecurity. It has improved greatly throughout the whole country. Juticalpa has been geographically isolated from the country, and has not been exposed to the major problems affecting the larger cities.
BASIC FACTS ABOUT JUTICALPA
99% Native Honduran
Wet Season from June to January
Dry Season from February to May
80 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit with low levels of humidity
OPPORTUNITIES TO TRAVEL
The school year offers opportunities to explore the rest of the country and the Central American region. There are several 3-day weekends, which offer the opportunity to visit the Caribbean coast or other parts of Honduras. There are also three long breaks during the school year, which offer the opportunity know and visit other places that are a little farther away from Juticalpa. They are the following:
-5 day holiday at the beginning of October
-2 week Christmas break during December
-1 week Easter break at the beginning of April
– 1 hour from Catacamas
– 1 hour from Campamento
– 2 1/2 hours from the capital, Tegucigalpa
– 3 1/2 hours from Caribbean
– 3 1/2 hours from border with Nicaragua
– 5 1/2 hours from Pacific coast