The DC Charter School Alliance is an education non-profit charter school support organization dedicated to supporting and representing the robust charter school sector in our nation’s capital. This is the 8th year of the School Data Internship program. The internship program was previously managed by FOCUS. Following the merger of FOCUS and the DC Association of Chartered Public Schools, it has continued under the direction of the DC Charter School Alliance. Today, there are 128 public charter schools in the District serving more than 44,000 students, affording students and families the power of choice in their education. Please visit our website for more information about the DC Charter School Alliance: https://www.dccharters.org/.
About the Internship
DC Charter School Alliance seeks highly capable and energetic college and graduate school student interns to support operations and increase the reporting capacity in local charter schools. This will be a remote summer internship and we will re-examine the internship in August 2021.
Charter schools rely heavily on data collection, data management, reporting and advocacy. Interns will be placed with a local public charter school for the school year depending on their interests. Through their work in public charter schools, interns will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience with school operations, advocacy, building large datasets, data cleaning, and creating reports. Interns will gain extensive knowledge of the DC’s public education system, the charter school sector, and nonprofit management.
Interns will work on a variety of projects with their assigned school’s staff. Interns will be assigned to schools based on interests and strengths. Sample projects include:
- Perform classroom analysis on student reading scores
- Design reports displaying school attendance trends
- Help implement new report card systems
- Compile, clean, and enter data from existing sources into new databases
- Work with teachers and school staff to create reporting and analysis that will help improve student outcomes
- Create presentations for staff professional development days and charter school boards
Summer Internship: June 2021- August 2021 (150 hours total)
Fall Internship: September 2021- December 2021 (150 hours total)
Compensation: Interns will be paid a stipend of $2,250 for one semester. The stipend will be paid out in three payments based on hours completed.
This internship is eligible for university credit (students must work this out with their university prior to the internship and provide DC Alliance with the paperwork).
Hours: Interns are expected to work on average 10 hours per week with flexibility regarding days and hours.
Training: Interns will participate in a virtual orientation that includes an overview of D.C.’s public education scene, designing quality reports, as well as have the opportunity to attend virtual training and networking opportunities.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs including but not limited to: Finance, Business Analytics, International Business, Education, Public Policy, Economics, Political Science, Information Sciences, Computer Information Systems, Statistics etc.
- Strong analytical skills, proficiency with Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to own projects and work independently
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and teamwork mentality
- High level of professionalism and organization
- Interest in education policy, as well as a strong commitment to public education and improving outcomes for disadvantaged students
How to Apply
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit an online application here: https://tinyurl.com/DCAInterns. Qualified applicants that move forward will be contacted for an initial phone screen within 2 – 4 weeks of application submission. Applications submitted before June 4th, 2021 for the summer internship and before July 16, 2021 for the fall internship will be given priority. We will review applications for the summer internship before we begin consideration for the fall internship. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.