DC Volunteer Lawyers Project (DCVLP) is searching for current college students or recent graduates to join our dedicated staff of lawyers and administrators for a part-time summer internship in Washington, D.C., beginning in May or June 2022 and ending in August 2022. If you are interested in working at an established legal non-profit, this could be the internship for you! In this role, you will have the opportunity to work directly with lawyers and contribute to helping low-income residents in Washington, D.C. with their legal needs.
DCVLP creates, supports, and utilizes a network of volunteer lawyers to provide high-quality, pro bono legal services to low-income individuals in the District of Columbia who are domestic violence victims, at-risk children, or have other urgent family law needs. Please see our website (www.dcvlp.org) for more information about DCVLP and the services we provide.
- Attend court hearings at DC Superior Court and provide legal and administrative support to the supervising and volunteer attorneys.
- Assist in the case administration of Guardian ad Litem and Domestic Violence matters, including court document management.
- Support the operation of our weekly walk-in domestic violence resource clinic.
- Any additional projects as assigned.
- Minimum commitment of 12-15 hours per week.
- Availability to travel to and from DCVLP’s office and DC Superior Court.
- Keen attention to detail and strong organizational, computer, and writing skills.
- Positive attitude and ability to deal with sensitive issues.
This internship will be unpaid. However, DCVLP may be able to assist you in obtaining academic credit if provided with the required documents.
Spanish-speakers and those with an interest in law school are strongly encouraged to apply. If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity, please email your cover letter and resume by Sunday, November 28, 2021, to Brian Yourish at email@example.com. Please note that applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Please apply directly to Mr. Yourish and not through the Handshake system. Applicants that apply through Handshake will not be considered for this internship.