Job Summary and Description:
This position will support EPRI researchers in developing testing platforms for Distributed Energy Resources (DER) and DER management systems (DERMS). This work will involve working with a team of technical staff both inside and outside EPRI. The potential candidate will be working on topics including, smart grid communications, application program interface (APIs) development, data base management, data analysis, and control systems to support DER integration. This is a great opportunity to learn about software applications, communication technologies and smart grid platforms that manages tomorrow’s electric grid.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Work with EPRI researchers to scope, design, build, and test tools and software applications.
Primary job functions will include:
- Knowledge of communication protocols like DNP3, Modbus etc.
- Learn and help develop smart grid communication functions and messaging protocols.
- Develop tools in python with prior experience/knowledge in Django framework and RESTful API.
- Develop tools in python for feeding data into a database system.
- Develop software programs tools to model, operate, and test distributed energy resources (renewables, energy storage).
- Test and enhance existing software tools – e.g. DER simulators, power system simulation platform.
- Participate in interactions with subject matter experts at electric utilities and technology vendors.
Additional Job Information:
Background, Education, Experience & Skills:
- Must be at least Junior standing with focus on Electrical or Computer Science Engineering
- Senior or Graduate Student in Electrical/ Computer Science preferred
- Experience in C++, Python
- Experience in Python or other coding software
- Knowledge in MS SQL
- Knowledge/experience creating programs in C++, and/or Python
- Knowledge on Ruby on rails is a plus.
- Proficiency in MS SQL Server – database queries, creation, and maintenance
- Knowledge/experience in object-oriented programming in Python or other coding software
- Previous experience/knowledge related to energy and electric power systems is helpful
- Electrical/Power engineering knowledge is a plus
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to learn new skills and ability to grasp new concepts quickly
EPRI participates in E-Verify, an online system operated jointly by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration (SSA). EPRI uses the system to check the work status of new hires by comparing information from the employee’s I-9 form against SSA and Department of Homeland Security databases.
Note: To ensure compliance with U.S. export controls, please indicate your U.S. citizenship or (for foreign citizens) your U.S. visa/immigration status in your resume or cover letter.
EPRI is an equal opportunity employer. EEO/AA/M/F/VETS/Disabled
Together . . . Shaping the Future of Electricity.