Job Summary – The Refugee Health Intern will assist the program manager in all health-related activities, systems navigation, and access to benefits for recently- arrived refugees in Virginia.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Assist and accompany clients to various appointments including but not limited to: medical appointments, immunization appointments, and to referrals support programs
• Assist refugees with health insurance enrollments
• Conduct refugee health-related outreach and education to local providers and potential partners
• Assist with client appointment reminders and follow-up
• Assist with conducting orientations to prepare community members for accessing US health services and assess health needs
• Perform trainings/create displays on safety, health, and hygiene
• Assist clients to get services from local social service offices and public assistance
• Assist program manager with the maintenance of case files
• Assist with other related duties as assigned
• College degree or perusing an undergraduate degree in public health, social work, political science, migration, international relations, human rights, language or related field required
• Previous experience working in multicultural contexts is desirable
• An interest in international and refugee issues
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team
• Ability to work in fast-paced environment and process unexpected tasks and deadlines
• Ability to work under pressure
• Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects
• Effective communication and writing skills
• Proficiency in one or more languages other than English is preferable
• Having a personal car or access to a car is desirable, but not required
• Understanding of the timelines and processes refugees go through.
• Increased intercultural communication competency
• Exposure to basic non-profit operations and environment
• Knowledge of marginalized populations – challenges and opportunities
• Experience working with limited English proficiency populations
• Knowledge of Virginia refugee benefits systems
• Ability to navigate social service systems
• Basic ability to keep case notes and maintain case files to State Department standards.
At least 2 full days a week or multiple half days per week.
Please submit a (1) cover letter and (2) resume to email@example.com.
This is an in-person internship with possible remote components.