Refugee Youth Mentoring Program Internship
Job Summary – The Youth Program Intern will assist the Refugee Youth Mentoring Program Coordinator in implementing refugee youth program activities.
The Ethiopian Community Development Council, Inc. (ECDC), established in 1983, is a non-profit, community-based organization that advocates on behalf of refugee and immigrant issues; conducts cultural, health education, and socio-economic development programs; and resettles refugees in the U.S. Our clients come from countries such as Afghanistan, Ivory Coast, Iran, Congo, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Syria and Nicaragua.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Plan curriculum and activities for biweekly youth workshops on life skills topics (e.g. healthy study habits, time management, etc.). Intern may facilitate some workshops.
- Assist in the preparation of program materials, events and activities.
- Communicate with and assist youth clients with individual goals and case management needs.
- Assist the Youth and Program Coordinator with maintenance of case files.
- Conduct outreach to potential refugee youth participants.
- Facilitate youth mentor recruitment and training.
- Assist with other related duties as assigned.
- College degree or perusing an undergraduate degree in political science, international relations, social work, human rights, language or related field required.
- Must have strong interest in working with youth.
- Position requires someone with Microsoft Office experience.
- Previous experience working in multicultural contexts is desirable.
- An interest in international and refugee issue
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment and process unexpected tasks and deadlines
- Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects
- Effective communication and writing skills
- Proficiency in one or more language other than English is preferable
- Understanding of the timelines and processes refugees go through.
- Increased intercultural communication competency
- Exposure to basic non-profit operations and environment
- Knowledge of marginalized populations – challenges and opportunities
- Experience working with limited English proficiency populations
- Basic ability to keep case notes and maintain case files.
At least 2 full days a week
Please submit a (1) cover letter and (2) resume to email@example.com.
Applications are considered on a first come, first served rolling basis.