Coordinates all service delivery implementation for Fairfax Connector service. Oversees contract service providers and support contractors to manage daily performance of scheduled transit services. Monitors and evaluates service delivery in accordance with contractual requirements, operating policies and procedures, and industry standards to meet operational requirements. Works collaboratively with other division/section of Department of Transportation, county agencies and regional organizations to promote the Fairfax Connector and increase the ridership. Manages and supervises professional staff for all related operations, including safety and training: emergency preparedness; maintenance; incident management: insurance and risk management.
- Ensures private contractor compliance with contractual terms regarding the provisions of service delivery requirements. Collects and analyzes information related to operational performance, meets regularly with private contractor (s) and staff to ensure contract compliance.
- Evaluates the operational performance of the Fairfax Connector including service standards, ridership trends, customer service trends, American with Disability Act compliance, mystery rider, bus stop evaluation and monitoring, and other aspects of operational service delivery. Utilizes various Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and data to evaluate performance.
- Carries out staff cross-training assignments within the section, including bus service planning, bus contract administration, emergency preparedness, incident management, and coordination of exceptions to regularly scheduled bus service delivery.
- Facilitates development of emergency plans and ensures compliance with all local, state, and federal emergency management protocols. Coordinates with county, regional service providers, other divisions/sections of Department of Transportation.
- Represents the unit or division at community, state and national events. Off-site meetings may require the operation of a personal and/or County vehicle.
- Maintains a 24/7 on-call status on an assigned schedule, to report and manage accident, emergency preparedness and incident notification.
- This position has been identified as an Emergency Service Personnel which will be required to report to work during inclement weather or other emergencies.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, urban, regional or transportation planning, or a closely related field; plus four years of professional experience in civil engineering, urban, regional or transportation planning, or a closely related field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver’s license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
This position is considered “essential personnel” and will be required to report to work regardless of the emergency situation (weather, transportation, other disaster).
- Five years of supervisory or management experience in transportation including public transit, bus and/or rail, or school bus operations.
- Knowledge of contract compliance and performance measurements used in transit operations.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Experience with CAD-AVL and other ITS (Intelligent Transportation System), including GPS-based real time tracking system, and other transit technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with private contract service providers, county officials, staff, and the public.
- Proficiency in basic Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Work is generally sedentary. However, employee may be required to do some walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items less than 25 pounds in weight. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include practical exercise.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or status as a veteran in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.