About Families USA
Families USA, a leading national voice for health care consumers, is dedicated to the achievement of high quality, affordable health care for all. We advance our mission through public policy analysis, advocacy, and collaboration with partners to promote a patient- and community-centered health system.
We are currently looking for a Health Policy Intern to work with us to improve maternal child health coverage and access and to assist with other health policy areas as needed. Working with national and state partners, we focus on developing and advocating for policy solutions that expand public maternal child health coverage and improve access to care. The Health Policy Intern plays a key role in supporting this work.
Role/Responsibilities may include:
- Building a database of both state and national maternal child health organizations and partners.
- Researching maternal child health policy areas, such as contraceptive access, home visiting, postpartum coverage expansion, and maternal mental health coverage and access.
- Writing a policy brief on policy options to improve maternal child health in areas such as those listed above.
- Preparing draft policy one pagers, fact sheets, issue briefs, and presentations.
- Tracking and supporting maternal child health policy work with state-based advocates, national coalition members, and Members of Congress.
- Supporting additional activities of the health policy team based on interest and availability.
- Passion for and deep commitment to health, health care and social justice.
- We greatly value students with political science, English, journalism, communications, business, and health-care related majors.
- Strong research, writing, and editing skills.
- Skilled at organizing and exceptional attention to details.
- Ability to prioritize work under tight deadlines while remaining flexible.
- Professionalism and excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work individually, as well as part of a team.
- Collaborative, team-first attitude.
Our Work Environment
Interns are paid $15.20 per hour and normally work between 20-30 hours per week. Interns at Families USA are considered and treated as integral members of the staff who have substantive roles to play in achieving the best health and health care for everyone in the country. Families USA considers its internship program an important opportunity to develop the next generation of health justice leaders. Internships are structured to facilitate professional development, with interns working with their supervisor and a mentor on developing and achieving goals, including taking advantage of different learning opportunities.
How to Apply
We encourage qualified candidates to apply online at Families USA’s website and include in your application: your letter of interest, resume and 1-3 pages writing sample. Families USA is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified veterans and diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.