SECONDARY MATH TEACHER
FLSA Status: Exempt
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs responsible professional instruction to students in subject area; motivates students to develop an interest in and an appreciation of math; does related work as required. Work is performed under general supervision.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Provides instruction to students in accordance with the Math program.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Meets and instructs the students in developing knowledge and skills in math.
- Plans and implements instructionally appropriate daily lesson plans. Adapts curriculum to the needs of students.
- Provides an effective program of instruction to include instructional skills, knowledge of child growth and development and knowledge and use of materials and resources in accordance with adopted curriculum.
- Uses a variety of instructional techniques appropriate for the skill level of students.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior and creates a safe, orderly, and effective environment for learning. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Demonstrates mastery of content area.
- Maintains records as required by law, system policy and administrative regulations.
- Participates in teacher trainings and staff meetings as assigned.
- Plans, coordinates, attends, and chaperones field trips as appropriate.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, with students, parents, and other professionals on a regular basis.
- Makes provisions for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes.
- Conferences regularly with parents/guardians regarding behavior observations and the performance of students.
- Develops and maintains the physical environment of the classroom that is conducive to effective learning within the limits of resources provided. Maintains inventory of all equipment related to the program.
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows evidence of preparation upon request by immediate supervisor.
- Makes minor adjustments to classroom equipment and requests repairs as appropriate.
- Cooperates with other members of the staff in planning instructional goals, objectives and methods. Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Encourages students to set and maintain high standards of classroom behavior.
- Maintains and upholds School policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Considerable knowledge of subject area (Mathematics). Considerable knowledge of child growth and development; must possess the ability to develop a high-quality, age appropriate curriculum to successfully engage children and foster physical, emotional, cognitive and social development; comprehensive knowledge of state law and regulations; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited College or University is required; must possess or be eligible for a Virginia Teaching License. Must have Math endorsement.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires fingering, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.