The Product Development Engineer position develops and delivers new and/or improved polyolefin products, solves problems and improves product performance and quality in the PE/PP Product Development Department. The Product Development Engineer position carries out major Research & Development projects to develop value added products and applications, and to reduce costs by process and formulation optimization. All while sustaining a safe and healthful working environment that meets environmental, health, safety regulations, and company requirements.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of polymer experience, preferably in Polyolefins with experience conducting research in a laboratory setting with a M.S or PH.D. in chemistry, chemical engineering, polymer, or related field. A strong background in polymer chemistry, structure-property relationships, and polymer processing and additive formulations preferred.
- Initiate and implement new product and application development projects to achieve value creation, product and process improvement, and cost saving.
- Conduct research and provide technical solution regarding optimal polymer structure or composition, selection of catalyst, additive formulation, process parameters, process, and fabrication technologies.
- Investigate root cause of product related customer complaint and provide technical solution.
- Carry out R&D projects regarding new technologies in catalysis, polymer chemistry, reactor process, polymer processing technique, and additive formulations to develop value-added new polyolefins products and applications, enhance product performance, and reduce the operation cost.
- Compile trial, project, and monthly reports in technical writing.
- Analyze, categorize and preserve all projects related data and documents.
- Be active in Operation Clean Sweep, and ensure employees are aware of and accountable for pellet loss prevention, containment, cleanup, and disposal.
- Maintain equipment in such a manner as to eliminate environmental emissions, upsets, or unscheduled shutdowns, which will result in zero non-conformances and zero emissions or releases.
- Assure compliance with all company safety, health, and security programs and practices, including the use of proper PPE in required areas.
QUALIFICATION REQUIRED: MINIMUM COMPETENCIES, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND/OR PRIOR TRAINING:
- M.S. in Polymer Science, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or closely related field is required. A Ph.D. degree in one of these fields is preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of polymer experience, preferably in Polyolefins with experience conducting research in a laboratory settings.
- Must have regular, reliable attendance as well as the ability to work outside of regular working schedule as required.
- Must demonstrate exceptional teamwork and customer service; behave professionally; treat others with respect and dignity.
- Must meet all safety requirements.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to handle and manage the stress associated with the position, often changing from one task to another of a different nature.
- Must be able to travel to offsite locations or other business functions as needed (requirement to travel means having a valid driver’s license and being prepared to drive a motor vehicle and to fly with overnight stays required).
- Must implement/educate/train and adhere to all company policies and procedures including but not limited to ISO, personnel, quality, environmental, health, safety, regulatory, and company requirements.
- Must be able to collaborate by integrating and utilizing cross-functional Internal Contacts and External Contact resources to impact Department goals and results optimally.