Free Minds Book Club & Writing Workshop is seeking a teaching artist contractor to join us (approximately 20 hours/week). The teaching artist will co-facilitate 2-3 book clubs weekly at Youth Services Center, DC Jail, and Correctional Treatment Facility, and will work closely with the Book Club Manager and Lead Facilitator.
- Read assigned books and assist with curriculum development (guided meditations, group warm-up games, discussion questions and writing prompts for each session)
- Attend and co-facilitate 90-minute book club sessions inside of facilities*
- Provide a brief written report of each book club session
- Complete online evaluation checklist after each book club session
- Type all poems/written assignments
- Assist with ordering and delivering books to members
- Identify appropriate titles for individual members’ needs as well as potential titles to include on ballots for each book club
The ideal candidate will:
- Be an avid reader and writer
- Have facilitation and/or teaching experience
- Have demonstrated interest/experience with incarcerated populations
Free Minds Book Club & Writing Workshop is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. We value representation and encourage BIPOC, LGTBQ+, and candidates from communities that have been disproportionately impacted by mass incarceration to apply.
Likely schedule will be every Monday, from 5 – 7:30 PM, and alternating Thursdays from 11AM – 2:30PM.
*The hired individual must attend the DC Department of Corrections’ annual 8-hour volunteer training session to acquire requisite certification.
Individual must get the COVID-19 vaccine and any necessary boosters.