About this Job
Come join our lively team in a fast-paced international environment of Fulbrighters changing the world! We are offering an unpaid summer internship to upper level undergraduate and graduate students (sophomore and above). Detail oriented, self-starters and team players are encouraged to apply.
The Fulbright Association, headquartered in Washington, DC, is a private, non-profit organization started in 1977 by U.S. alumni of the Fulbright Program. It is the largest organization of Fulbright alumni in the world. Our mission is to engage current and former Fulbright exchange participants in lifelong experiences that advance international understanding through volunteer service to communities, people-to-people diplomacy, and dialogue on global issues.
Purpose: To expand engagement among Fulbright alumni and members; broaden visibility for the Fulbright Association and its programs; and highlight the global impact of the Fulbright Program and its alumni.
Overview: The Communications and Social Media Intern provides hands-on support for engagement, donor and membership campaigns; writes blog posts and newsletter feature stories; and manages social media accounts for the Association.
Intern duties include:
- Social media: Researches, writes, and manages posts shared on official Fulbright Association social media accounts. Curates content related to Fulbright alumni, news, events, travel programs, and advocacy campaigns. Expands social media engagement by driving interaction with alumni, chapters, university members, and partners in international education and foreign relations.
- Blog: Contributes pieces to the Fulbright Association blog. Interviews Fulbright alumni to write articles on their experiences, researches and summarizes advocacy campaign updates and travel programs. Schedule permitting, attends and covers local Fulbright events.
- Website: Supports website maintenance by updating content, images, and design features using WordPress CMS.
- Communication Campaigns: Collaborates with and supports staff with campaign strategy and implementation for ongoing advocacy, fundraising, and membership campaigns.
- Calls: All staff & interns participate in membership & donor renewal calls & some admin tasks.
15-20 hours per week. Exact schedule and dates of internship to be set with supervisor. The Fulbright Association Office is located near Farragut Square at 1900 L St, NW in Washington, D.C. Office hours are Monday-Friday from 9:00 am-5:00 pm.
- Excellent writing skills, with experience writing articles and promotional content for website, social media, and email outlets.
- Experience using social media effectively in a professional setting. Proficiency with Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter required.
- Experience with website management and WordPress CMS preferred.
- Self-starter who takes initiative to figure out how to get things done.
- Good at managing multiple tasks and driven to meet fast turnaround deadlines.
- Adept at quickly learning new software and marketing tools.
- Pursuing a degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Business, International Education, or related fields.
- Experience working with school newspaper or supporting an organization’s website or blog.
- Working knowledge of WordPress, basic HTML coding for web design, and social media planning tools.
- Basic graphic design skills using Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- Familiarity with the Fulbright Program; experience with study abroad or international exchange.
- Passion for international travel and curiosity for other cultures.
Internship start and end dates are flexible. Ideal candidate would be able to work late May/early June through August. Internship details may change due to COVID-19.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3-5 page writing sample. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.