GAI Consultants, Inc. is seeking a Civil Technical Specialist with a BSCE to work from our Indianapolis or Fishers’ offices. Candidates will be provided opportunities to learn from different work experiences to become well-rounded in the civil engineering field. The initial assignment will be in Construction Inspection for one to two years minimum. Roadway, bridge, environmental, and hydraulic design positions may be available in the future. The ideal candidate will be exposed to a range of projects both in the office and in the field.
- Knowledge of transportation construction and quality control practices preferred.
- Knowledge in the Indiana Department of Transportation, Indianapolis Department of Public Works, or other governmental agency specifications, standards, and inspection requirements.
- Read and interpret construction plans, drawings, and other technical documents.
- Inspect work of contractors and document project progress and quality of work.
- Ability to measure and calculate quantities of materials.
- Perform material testing.
- Ability to work outside in all kinds of weather conditions.
- Ability to lift heavy objects such as testing equipment and materials samples.
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain and navigate steps, stairs, and ladders.
- Ability to work in hazardous environments and use required Personal Protective Equipment. Environment will include dust, noise, tripping, and overhead hazards.
This is a full-time opportunity that would be perfect for an incumbent who is a recent grad or will graduate in December 2021 and has not taken or passed the Engineering Intern Exam at the time of application.
Bachelors or better in Civil Engineering or related field.
Less than 2 years: Experience or formal technical training in engineering or construction technology
Ability to acquire EI certification in 6 months.
Ability to interact with contractors, subcontractors, clients and property owners in communicating construction problems, progress and answering inquiries.
Understanding of basic safety practices in a construction environment. May be required to complete OSHA training for specific projects. May be required to complete other safety training for particular inspection activities, such as confined space entry, fall protection, etc.
INDOT Site Manager certification or ability to become certified in the future.
Good written and oral communication skills.
AutoCAD and/or MicroStation Skills.
INDOT Certified Technician Training, requisite education equivalent, or ability to complete within one month.
Experience using construction software to document construction activities and material and pay quantities.
Requisition Number: CIVIL001268