Gavin de Becker & Associates (GDBA) is a dynamic security firm innovating threat assessment and public figure protection. Our mission is to protect and enhance the lives of those we serve. From at-risk individuals and prominent families to corporations and universities, GDBA stands on the front line of the assessment, prediction, and management of violence.
Who You Are
We’re less interested in what you do than who you are. You have a passion for writing excellence, an obsessive attention to detail, and an aptitude for creating and improving systems. This role is perfect for someone looking to advance a career as a writer and editor, or for someone interested in gaining mastery in the field of security – or both.
You will support our dynamic and growing team of subject-matter experts who provide high-touch solutions in a variety of security-related fields, to include design of security programs and technologies, threat assessment, investigation, and global intelligence. You will be responsible for carefully drafting and finalizing high-quality, client-facing deliverables and helping to standardize and improve the project management and editorial cycle.
This is a writing and editing intensive position with opportunities for travel, if desired. This position is based in San Antonio, TX and will be a mixture of in-person work and remote work. Suitable candidates should be able to commute to North San Antonio, TX at least once per week.
- Proofreading and Editing – Ensure confidential client-facing deliverables meet the highest standards of grammar, style, formatting, and consistency. Oversee the final review and preparation of documents before delivery to clients.
- Deliverable Creation – Work closely with subject-matter experts to create high-quality work products including written reports, images, and graphics.
- Systemization – Improve institutional knowledge and workflow by aggregating and organizing information, improving processes, and helping ensure timely progress and delivery of reports.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Proven track record of exceptional writing and editing skills – can be in either a professional or academic setting
- Attention to every detail and a strong sense of curiosity
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to adapt to different audiences and communications styles
- Proven ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities in a demanding and time-sensitive environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
- Flexibility, dedication, and passion
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in English, journalism, or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Copy editor certification through ACES or an accredited certificate program
- Three or more years of experience in copyediting, proofreading, client-facing report-writing, or similar responsibilities
- Proven track-record of working with diverse personalities to foster success for the whole team
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
- Interest in physical security, threat assessment, investigations, criminal justice, or similar fields
- Promotion system is merit-based. Performance matters most, not seniority.
- Join a culture that strongly encourages you to create your own opportunities and shape your career.
- Work directly alongside some of the leading minds in violence prevention, threat assessment, and physical security, at a firm with an outstanding global reputation.