At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our sequencing instrument platform leverages a proprietary electrical microfluidic sequencing chip with a scalable number of detectors, enabling a wide range of applications including targeted sequencing in oncology, pharmacogenomics and genome-wide sequencing in microbiology and others. We believe in a world where every researcher has a compact, scalable, and affordable sequencer in their own lab, empowering the democratization of genetic sequencing. Our novel sequencing method is revolutionizing genomics discovery, biomedical research, healthcare, diagnostics, agriculture, and a variety of other fields.
About the Role
The Consumables Mechanical Design Engineer will play an exciting and very important role within the R&D Instrumentation Engineering Team. This position will design and develop new plastic injection molded parts and bonded assemblies used in the GenapSys DNA Sequencing reagent kit consumable products, including reagent supply cartridges and chip flowcell lids.
- Design new, high volume, low-cost, plastic injection molded reagent supply consumable container for DNA sequencer.
- Improve yield, cost, manufacturability, cleanliness, and reliability of current consumable products through management of suppliers and, if needed, design changes.
- Collaborate with a cross functional team and influence the development of the new sequencer instrument and chip platform in conjunction with the development of the consumable.
- Perform engineering, risk, and cost analysis to support design choices.
- Define appropriate tests for consumables, as well as reagent-filling manufacturing workflows.
- Use sound judgment, creativity, intuition, and experience with disciplined approaches to assess and mitigate risks while meeting aggressive timelines.
- Quickly conceive multiple options, communicate tradeoffs, and lead consensus.
- Identify simple solutions to solve complex problems or meet complicated requirements.
- Create clear, effective documentation of requirements, designs, BOMs, tests plans, analyses, reports, processes, and traceability between requirements, technical specifications, and verification tests.
- 8+ years of relevant experience, preferably for similar Life Science consumable products.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering.
- Mechanical design of low-cost, injection molded plastic consumable parts and assemblies, preferably inert designs that house reagents, requiring strong joining of parts, having internal hermetic seals, containing valves, sensors, pumps, and other moving parts.
- Fully proficient in using Solidworks to create concept cartoons, mechanical models, and detailed drawings, including appropriate definition of critical datums, dimensions, and tolerances.
- Proficient using simulation tools (e.g. FEA package in Solidworks, Excel to crunch engineering equations or tolerance analyses) to support design choices.
- Knowledge of manufacturing and prototyping processes.
- DFx: Design for Assembly, Manufacturability, Serviceability, Low Cost, and Reliability.
- Excellent communication skills and initiative.
- A record of delivering on commitments in busy, fast-paced environments.
- Direct development of and expertise in bonding methods (e.g. ultrasonic, vibration, or laser welding, adhesives, solvent)
- Expertise with low-cost, automated methods of post-op assembly at the molding supplier, such as tube or component insertion
- Knowledge of clean assembly and bonding methods (that do not introduce debris).
- Lab-on-chip device design
- DOE and DOE tools (e.g. Minitab).
- Working under a phased gate, Product Development Process (PDP).
- Development under ISO 13485 compliant QMS systems.
What we offer (US based-employees)*
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
*Eligible international employees’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately, we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
GenapSys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any GenapSys employee. GenapSys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees absent a formal agreement.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys’ culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!