There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
Manufacturing Controls Engineering Intern
Our plants are the groundwork for GM and a hotbed of innovation. We need controls engineer interns to assist maintenance personnel in operation and maintenance of specialist equipment. As a controls engineer intern you would be accountable for controls engineering and electrical support for engine programs. These tasks would teach you electrical root causing analysis and problem solving as well as leadership skills to provide technical support and direction to support personnel/skilled trades within the organization. Quality and safety are extremely meaningful to us, so enforcing safe work practices is the highest priority and implement objectives for ergonomics, health/safety and housekeeping, which means that you would have to investigate system and equipment problems and provide technical input in problem resolution.
- Leads electrical projects including new, operations improvements, and periodic repair and replacement
- Participates in functional area plant meetings and related activities to represent engineering and to assist in reaching the plant’s performance goals
- Develops cost estimates, investment forecasts, business cases, appropriation requests and plans for minor project activity
- Utilizes statistical methods for continuous improvement on plant systems
- Develops and monitors planning timetables and projects schedules
- Coordinates and communicates the development of changes to improve conditions for the assembly process
- Programming of manufacturing technology
- Analyzes product, process and technology to figure out the best methods of manufacture
- Assists in the design and building of tools and equipment or recommends improvements to existing processes
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering/Electrical Engineering Technology, Controls Engineering, Computer Engineering, and Computer Science
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week
- Willing to work in a plant environment
- Demonstrated leadership in field of study, extracurricular activities or service organizations
- Able to work independently and with a team
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Oral and written communication skills with the ability to distill complex subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2022 Student Program.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.