There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
At General Motors we strive for a culture of excellence. We act with integrity. We are driven by ingenuity and innovation. We have the courage to do and say what’s difficult. Each of us takes accountability for results, drives for continued efficiencies and has the tenacity to win.
We are seeking Manufacturing Group Leader Interns who will have general supervisory responsibility over a large group of employees engaged in plant production operations. We need employees who are natural influencers and leaders who can motivate their peers to accomplish goals. However, you would also have responsibilities in achieving production schedules using lean manufacturing principles. Utilizing both skills would teach you excellent leadership skills as well as manufacturing processes. Having this knowledge makes you a valuable employee. Your work would involve the coordination of several operations involving the ability to make decisions within the limits of general practices and policies. Work performed under general supervision, while exercising a high level of independent judgment.
- Maintain awareness of quality standards, communicate department quality goals and use resources to solve quality problems
- Build and maintain good working relationships with employees, union and management
- Understand and consistently coordinate the National and Local Agreements between General Motors and the United Auto Workers Union
- Bring leadership skills that help develop teams
- Strong problem-solving skills utilizing data
- Implement/follow systems that prevent reoccurrence of known issues.
- Promote safe work practices and achieve objectives for ergonomics, health and safety and housekeeping.
- Empower, train and develop employees to effectively perform their jobs utilizing standardized methods
- Utilize human resources in accordance with corporate policies and procedures and government regulations
- Control costs and achieve productivity improvements
- Provide input to payroll and perform other administrative tasks as required
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to implement and apply lean principles to both operations and maintenance
- Apply technical knowledge with some direct guidance from supervisor
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week
- Willing to work in a plant environment
- Prior internship in automotive, technology, or manufacturing
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Demonstrates leadership in field of study, extra-curricular activities or service organizations
- Strong leadership skills, to guide project teams through planning, execution and insight phases
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, especially the ability to synthesize large amounts of data involving multiple variables into comprehensive, actionable insights
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, managing results and goals
- Willingness to ask questions, take initiative and be resourceful
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill sophisticated subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and collaboration skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a rapidly moving environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
- Deliver new and creative solutions to sophisticated problems
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2022 Student Program.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.