The Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism (GIFCT) is seeking a part-time spring intern to support its research, programming, and technological activities. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, diligent worker, strong team player, and possess a demonstrated interest in the intersection of technology and terrorism/violent extremism.
The mission of the Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism (GIFCT) is to prevent terrorists and violent extremists from exploiting digital platforms.
Founded by Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, and YouTube in 2017, the Forum was designed to foster technical collaboration across the tech sector, advance relevant research, and share knowledge with smaller platforms. Since 2017, GIFCT’s membership has expanded beyond the founding companies to include over a dozen diverse platforms committed to cross-industry efforts to counter the spread of terrorist and violent extremist content online.
Working within the technology team, you would be assisting with the coordination and delivery of multiple GIFCT tech work streams. Work streams span the spectrum of coordination of GIFCT technology outreach efforts to research on open source tech solutions, assistance in developing prototype capabilities to help with the coordination of counterterrorism efforts across the tech sector.
At GIFCT, we draw on a diverse array of expertise and experiences from the technology sector, government, civil society, and academia to advance GIFCT’s mission of preventing terrorists and violent extremists from exploiting the Internet. We foster innovation, inclusion, creativity, and critical thinking in all of our efforts and seek to deliver results, adapt to an ever-changing threat landscape, and promote the universal and fundamental human rights that terrorists seek to undermine.
Hone your technical skills on challenging problems with some of the biggest tech companies in the world, while preventing terrorists from exploiting digital platforms.
- Job Type: Part-Time (20 hours/week)
- Compensation: $15/hr
- Location: Flexible remote working
- Duration: 8 weeks minimum
- Conducting independent research projects on topics such as: privacy, ethics and security in machine learning, image processing, natural language processing, audio processing and user experience design, database administration;
- Participating in ad hoc projects;
- Coordinating GIFCT tech outreach;
- Attending relevant meetings and events;
- Assisting with company deliverables and external-facing documents.
- Demonstrated interest in the intersection of terrorism/violent extremism and technology
- Prior coursework in one of the following fields: computer science, data science, machine learning, web development, database administration, user experience design
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are only able to respond to applicants who are selected for an interview. Thank you for your interest in GIFCT.
The Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism is an equal opportunity employer. No applicant will be denied equal opportunity for consideration because of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.