Great Lakes Cheese is seeking a Continuous Improvement Intern from May 2022 – August 2022 at our
plant location in Manchester, Tennessee. At GLC, you have the opportunity to grow, optimize your
performance and unlock your ambitions through positions in many areas of the organization. While
working independently or in a team environment, you develop leadership and critical thinking skills to help
build a foundation for your career. Internships at GLC allow students to gain real job experience and
receive on-the-job training that focuses on our technologies and methodologies. From the start, interns
are challenged to demonstrate their strengths and apply their knowledge to help us achieve our business
strategy. At GLC, we place great value on our interns. Our positions are structured to maximize your
internship experience. This position is a paid internship.
- Assigned an independent project (s) in the area of cheese packaging to focus on improved production line efficiencies and cost reduction opportunities. Examples of projects:
- Reduce inedible waste – identify high scrap areas by line and implement a process to capture trim for Process Usage.
- Reduce Process Trim – identify products with the highest trim % and implement changes to production process/equipment settings to reduce trim.
- Film Waste Reduction – Identify top root causes by machine and run process that creates film waste and implement improvement plans
- Develop Centerlines and Standardized Machine Settings to reduce equipment adjustments.
- Develop Technical documents to drive efficiencies in operations. Documents may include Set-up Sheets, Recipes, Troubleshooting Guides, and Change over Guides.
- Identify low-performing lines through efficiency monitoring and Downtime Review.
- Support and help prioritize improvement projects.
- Support and optimize operator PM program to provide better identification of defects and improve line efficiencies.
- Individuals must be capable of executing project assignments, in a team-based environment, under limited supervision.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the manager
Required Education and Experience
- Current college student pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Logistics, Operations, Management, Lean Manufacturing or related field.
- Year in school: Junior/Senior.
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Strong attention to detail, data analysis, and reporting skills.
- Strong communication, presentation, and team skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Self-motivated with a high level of initiative, able to work well independently.
• Occasional exposure to industrial operations including: temperature extremes from approximately 35ºF to 100ºF; noise levels in excess of 85 dB; moisture and moving machinery.
EEOC & Disclaimer
Great Lakes Cheese is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer