Sands Point, NY, US
Attention: Open to all College Students!
The Mission of the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youths and Adults is to enable each person who is DeafBlind to live and work in his or her community of choice. Authorized by an Act of Congress in 1967, HKNC is the only organization of its kind—providing training and resources exclusively to people age 16 and over who have combined vision and hearing loss. Students travel from across the country to our headquarters in Sands Point, New York, for on-campus training in assistive technology, vocational services, orientation and mobility, communication and independent living, and our regional offices bring HKNC resources to communities throughout the United States. Employment at HKNC is a “one-of-a-kind” experience and at HKNC, we seek employees who have a strong work ethic, strive for excellence, enjoy a challenge, and are highly motivated and creative.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKNC team as a Habilitation Specialist in our Residential facility in Sands Point, NY. The Habilitation Specialist is responsible for assisting consumers who reside in the residence with their training goals, recreation, communication, and personal development goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist consumers with their homework/projects/activities related to their training goals
- Providing human guide and/or accompanying consumers during community activities
- Assisting consumers with unplanned activities in the community such as going to stores for needed supplies or fast food establishments.
- Supports the consumers by following all Department of Health regulations and providing communication facilitation.
- Provide sleep-in coverage as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Associates Degree, or completion of two years of college (60 credits) preferably within the education or health related field of study
- OR High school diploma and four years of paid experience as a residence/group home aide working with individuals who have intellectual disabilities.
- One year of experience in work with blind, Deaf, DeafBlind, or individuals with disabilities.
Full time union position with benefits including:
- Fully paid Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- $500 sign on bonus (payable after 3 months of employment)
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays Off
- Life Insurance
- Short/Long Term Disability
- 403b Program w/Employer Match
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary Benefits Programs
- Career Advancement Opportunities
- Tuition Reimbursement
Apply today or contact Human Resources for more information.