HIP Consult is an independent management consulting firm based in Washington DC, specializing in telecommunications, technology, and energy. HIP Consult offers strategic, commercial and operational support to companies, international agencies, and governments worldwide, particularly in emerging markets across Sub-Saharan Africa, MENA, Latin America, and Asia. At HIP Consult we are passionate about our clients’ success and strive to be true partners in developing solutions that foster long-term growth.
HIP Consult is a consulting firm with the culture and pace of a start-up. We are a relatively flat organization that gives employees opportunity to share ideas and challenge themselves, regardless of seniority level. The firm has developed proprietary databases and applications as part of its InfraNavTM initiative, including the largest geospatial database of fiber optic network infrastructure for emerging markets.
Internship Description and Responsibilities
HIP Consult is looking for a GIS Intern to contribute to the development and maintenance of our geospatial databases. As a GIS intern, you will use open-source programs such as QGIS and PgAdmin to edit vector geometries and standardize metadata. You will also conduct research to identify and document updates to network infrastructure across Africa, Latin America, and Asia. You will work closely with a team of GIS interns and analysts, along with members of the wider team. Specific responsibilities include:
· Identify and download geospatial data from online sources
· Use open-source GIS software to create and update geospatial datasets
· Use topological editing methods to clean and standardize data
· Update metadata using SQL queries
· Research infrastructure developments across emerging markets
· Present weekly progress in team meetings
The GIS internship opens with a comprehensive training program. While some knowledge of QGIS and/or SQL may be helpful, those with a background in ArcGIS can certainly succeed with readiness to learn new skills and strong problem-solving abilities. The GIS Internship at HIP Consult will provide you with skills in open-source GIS software and PostgreSQL, as well as an understanding of digital infrastructure that enables our increasingly connected lives.
· Strong academic record in Geography, GIS, International Affairs and/or another relevant field
· 1+ year GIS desktop software experience (QGIS preferred)
· Strong research skills
· PowerPoint and Excel proficiency
· Enthusiastic, motivated team player with strong communication skills
· Close attention to detail
· Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting abilities
· Interest in international relations, telecommunications, technology, and/or connectivity, particularly in an emerging markets context
· Familiarity with SQL or PostgreSQL recommended but not required
· Reading and/or speaking proficiency in Spanish, French, Russian, Arabic, or Portuguese recommended but not required
This position is available immediately, but we welcome applicants seeking a later start date to apply. Full-time and part-time (20+ hours) internships are available. Interns are paid at an hourly rate. Due to COVID-19, the internship will be virtual, with opening announcements to come given official recommendations.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and unofficial academic transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org or through Handshake.