Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
REFUGEE RESETTLEMENT INTERNSHIP
TIME COMMITMENT: At least 2 days/15 hours per week
Summer: May 24 – August 20, 2021
Fall: September 7 – December 17, 2021
** NOTE: IRC Internships are UNPAID & all work will be done REMOTELY **
* Fluency in Arabic, French, Haitian Creole, Pashtu, Spanish or Swahili strongly preferred **
* Applications without resumes will not be considered. **
OPPORTUNITY: Gain experience working at a leading, global humanitarian organization; participate in virtual team meetings; engage in regular supervisor check-ins; gain in-depth knowledge of the refugee resettlement process in the U.S.; practice your language skills & make lasting impacts on the lives of IRC clients.
SCOPE OF WORK:
- Assist with services to clients, including coordination of housing assistance for new arrivals; applications for Social Security and state ID cards & school enrollment
- Help clients prepare and understand forms and paperwork
- Assist clients in scheduling medical and other appointments
- Provide translation and interpretation when necessary
- Other related duties as assigned, including community outreach, resource gathering, answering and directing incoming phone calls, and other administrative duties as needed
- Learn about refugee resettlement and refugee social services
- Develop problem-solving and client services skills
- Learn how to manage client cases within established deadlines
- Build and practice community outreach and presentation skills with culturally diverse groups
Fluency preferred but not required in French, Spanish, Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Pashto, Tamil, Haitian Creole or Kiswahili
• Undergraduate or graduate studies in social sciences, modern language, international relations or a related field.
• Strong desire to help refugees rebuild their lives in New Jersey.
• Excellent attention to detail and effective communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
• Patience, understanding, flexibility, and an unceasingly positive attitude.
• Willingness to learn about IRC history, philosophy, global work, and local efforts.
• Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies.
Click Apply Now to be taken to our online site.