The International Spy Museum (SPY) is a private nonprofit museum dedicated to educating the public about the world of espionage and intelligence through exhibits, educational programs, special events, and public outreach. Our Development Department seeks an intern to work alongside the staff to steward donations from individuals, corporations, foundations, and government agencies.
The Development Intern will support donor identification and stewardship efforts. This position works closely with a small, closely-knit team of fundraising professionals to (1) develop the intern’s capacity to undertake donor/prospect research and event coordination and (2) to increase the intern’s knowledge of nonprofit fundraising models and practices.
Working closely with the Development team, this work will focus on the following project and deliverables:
- Supporting the individual and corporate membership programs with outreach via telephone campaigns, mail, email, and other tasks.
- Assisting with cultivation and fundraising events planned for Fall 2021 and Winter 2022, including the Webster Award event in December 2021.
- Researching existing and potential donors.
- Entering and updating contact information and other data in Salesforce, the Museum’s constituent database.
- This internship is open to anyone currently pursuing their post-secondary pathway, including undergraduates, graduate students, and persons currently enrolled in a four-year program.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Identify as:
- Having a strong interest in nonprofit/museum management and fundraising.
- Being organized and a self-starter.
- Having strong computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Dependable, responsible, and self-motivated.
- Professional and approaches challenges with a positive attitude.
- An effective communicator who enjoys working in a team environment but can also easily tackle independent projects.
Hours and Compensation
- Fall Internship – Interns should complete no fewer than 180 hours over the duration of the internship. Weekly hours and schedule will be determined based on department need and the student’s academic schedule.
- This is an unpaid internship with no expectation of compensation. The internship does not entitle, nor guarantee, the intern employment at the conclusion of the internship.
- The International Spy Museum offers academic credit for this internship. The Museum will work with the intern to complete all necessary forms to receive credit, but the intern is responsible for making all appropriate arrangements with their school.