Irvine Nature Center is a non-profit educational organization that offers programs of environmental studies and natural science to children and adults of the greater Baltimore area. Our mission is to educate and inspire current and future generations to explore, respect and protect nature.
The Field Data Collection & GIS intern will be responsible for the collection and cataloging of important data on Irvine’s 211 acre property. The intern will be responsible for mapping data including but not limited to Irvine’s trail system, interpretive signs, invasive plant hotspots. native plant restoration areas, with handheld GPS instruments. The intern will complete basic GIS data upload and analysis of collected data to assist in various natural resources related projects.
• Collect relevant data in the field using a handheld Garmin GPS unit.
• Map Irvine’s trail system through the use of GPS and GIS technologies
• Utilize ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online to store and display field data
• Basic data analysis to determine success of restoration areas (based on surviving plants over a period of time)
• Basic GIS experience preferred, but not required
• Willingness to walk several miles of trails at a time and potentially walk through difficult terrain to obtain accurate information
• Be able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs
• 16 years of age or older
• Pass a criminal background check (if 18+)
• 5-10 hours/week
• Must be available between 8am-5pm (flexible)
To Apply: Please send resume and three references to our Volunteer Coordinator at WinklerM@ExploreNature.org or visit our website at