About the Program
Our internships center around hands-on mentorship and a robust educational curriculum that includes challenging classes, interactive sessions, and small group discussions. Over the course of 10-12 weeks, you’ll be matched with full-time employees in your role who will mentor you as you tackle real-world projects they design. You’ll also be able to access our physical and virtual educational resources, attend guest speakers and social events, and hopefully get a real sense of what it would be like to work here full time.
If you’ve never thought about a career in finance, you’re in good company—many of us were in the same position before working here. If you have a curious mind, a collaborative nature, and a passion for solving interesting problems, we have a feeling you’ll fit right in.
About the Position
As a Facilities Engineering intern, you’ll work side by side with full-timers to learn how we design and manage highly reliable trading floors, co-location facilities, and data centers for our business.
During the program you’ll be mentored closely by the full-time employees who designed your projects. Some projects consider big-picture questions that we’re still trying to figure out, while others involve building something new.
You’ll have a unique opportunity to see how our team of creative problem-solvers design with intention to optimize the work experience at Jane Street. Our team culture is highly collaborative, with specific responsibilities spanning all aspects of our physical infrastructure.
We are open to candidates from different engineering backgrounds. What’s most important is a proven commitment to excellence, a desire to learn more about engineering design, and an ability to demonstrate well-reasoned engineering decisions.
We don’t expect you to have a background in finance or any other specific field—we’re looking for smart people who enjoy solving interesting problems. We’re more interested in how you think and learn than what you currently know. You should be:
- Pursuing an Engineering degree, which could include, but is not limited to: Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, or Facilities Engineering
- Willing to be part of a team that is committed to providing 24/7 support for critical infrastructure
- Skilled with computers and familiar working with technical people in an IT-centric environment
- Handy enough to solve small problems in the field without a tradesperson
- Someone who enjoys working with a wide range of colleagues with different skill sets and levels of experience. You should be excited to join us in working with professionally diverse teams and interfacing with non-engineers and multiple business units
- A strong communicator with the ability to describe detailed problems with brevity and accuracy
- Fluent in English