Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #51 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT is a highly-respected, multi-discipline Employee-Owned company providing services under multiple ecological restoration contracts with government and private clients nationally. We plan, design, manage, implement and monitor successful and innovative stream and wetland restoration projects with an emphasis on forming sustainable systems which self-form and maintain high quality habitats. Our design philosophy mandates restoration of systems to uplift functions and values beyond the basic sediment and nutrient reduction goals to form long-term sustainable systems. Our highly skilled staff also performs the full suite of environmental impact assessment, permitting, natural and biological resource assessments, and water resources and related engineering and infrastructure services.
JMT is seeking a motivated individual for an entry level position to join our Ecological Restoration team as a designer of streams, wetlands and other natural habitats / ecosystems and related services. Emphasis is on Mid-Atlantic projects with ability and desire to also work on projects across JMT’s entire footprint. The successful candidate will gain experience assessing, designing, and assisting Project Managers with key regional clients as well as other local, state, and Federal clients. The ability and desire to grow and collaborate with other technical staff is highly desirable. Sponsorship is not available for this position. As a condition of employment, hire will be required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Proof of vaccination will need to be submitted as part of the interview/hiring process.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Stream / Wetland assessment and design
- Hydrologic Modeling experience using TR55 / TR20 and Rational Methodologies
- Hydraulic Modeling experience using HEC-RAS
- Stream Survey and Assessment including operating laser level survey equipment and sediment sampling procedures
- Perform alternative studies
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects
- Perform design computations
- Develop construction cost estimates
- Assist in the preparation of engineering documents for advertisement and construction
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality
- 0-2 years of experience designing stream and/or ecological restoration and mitigation
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, environmental science or a related field
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- MicroStation and/or AutoCAD drafting experience
- GIS experience
- Related internship, classroom, or volunteer experience
- Engineer-in-Training (EI or EIT) certification (has passed FE Exam) or the ability to sit for the exam within 1 year
Work is performed within a general office environment 80% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 50lbs) may be required as needed. Travel will be required.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Building Relationship and Teamwork
- Creativity and Innovation
- Job Proficiency
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.