Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #52 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT is seeking a Design Engineer to join the Syracuse, New York office. The Design Engineer is responsible for engineering design of transportation infrastructure features, such as drainage, highways, and bridges using knowledge of general engineering principles and practices to interpret, organize, execute and coordinate assignments.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform engineering tasks in the transportation infrastructure field through application of relevant design criteria, standards and processes.
- Perform alternative studies
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, bridge inspections, aerial photography and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects
- Perform design computations
- Perform engineering tasks in the civil engineering field through application of relevant design codes, standards and design-oriented computer programs
- Prepare design plans and details
- Develop construction cost estimates and write specifications
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality
- Experience working with CADD software (Bentley preferred)
- Proficiency using a PC Office Suite (Word Processing, Spreadsheets)
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in the above listed functions and responsibilities
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology/Engineering Accreditation Commission (ABET/EAC) may be substituted for 4 years of experience
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission (ABET/ETAC) may be substituted for 2 to 4 years of experience.
- Engineering Intern (EI) / Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certificate (preferred)
Work is performed within a general office environment 95% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 25 lbs) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Creativity and Innovation
- Job Proficiency
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.