Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #51 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT is seeking a Water Resources Design Engineer to perform design tasks under the supervision of a registered professional engineer. The candidate should have strong organizational and communication skills. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply. Sponsorship is not available for this position
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Identify watersheds, drainage patterns, and soil conditions.
- Delineate drainage areas to points of interest for analysis.
- Complete land cover and time of concentration calculations
- Develop design criteria based on the federal, state, and local ordinances and guidance manuals.
- Design and analysis stormwater management practices
- Design drainage networks including the pipe, slope, and outfall locations.
- Perform Hydrologic and Hydraulic analysis
- Develop Post Construction Stormwater Management plans and details
- Develop Erosion and Sediment Control plans
- Inspection and assessment of constructed stormwater management practices
- Complete permit applications for state and local agencies
- Utilize general engineering principles and practices daily
- Prepare technical reports of design approach, methodology, and summary of results.
- Develop construction cost estimates, quantity take offs, prepare specifications, and package construction documents for bid.
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline with the established quality.
Nonessential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Science in Civil or Environmental Engineering with emphasis in Water Resources.
- 0-4 years of experience in Civil, Environmental, or Water Resources Engineering.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE/EIT) Exam.
- Hydrologic Modeling experience using TR55 / TR20 and Rational Methodologies
- Hydraulic Modeling experience using HEC-RAS and/or HY-8.
- Stormwater Management design experience.
- Erosion and Sediment Control design experience.
- Green Stormwater Infrastructure design experience.
- Storm Drain design experience.
- Experience with Microstation, ORD SUDA, and/or AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Confined Space and Fall protection training
Work is performed within a general office environment 75% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 50 lbs) may be required as needed.
Applicant will need a valid driver license and mode of transportation to occasionally conduct site visits, field investigations, or inspections.
- Analytical Thinking
- Creativity and Innovation
- Job Proficiency
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.