The Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices (JJMDC) Industrial Design and Human Factors (IDHF) organization is seeking a multi-faceted, exceptionally talented, user-centered Human Factors Engineer (HFE) who is passionate about improving the quality of people’s lives through compelling design experiences.
Our team leads contextual research to discover unmet user needs, creates usability specifications and requirements, and iteratively tests with stakeholders throughout a robust usability process. The position will interact closely with the product development team to design and evaluate user interfaces (hardware and software) for medical products including devices, support systems and associated training /instructional elements. We are a diverse, collaborative, and global team, striving to create products and solutions that improve patient outcomes by delivering remarkable user experiences. The successful candidate will continue to elevate world-class human factors approaches throughout the organization while providing timely usability insight to the product development teams.
Positions will be based at our Cincinnati OH, Raynham MA, and Somerville NJ offices and will report directly to the IDHF team at those locations for the period of August to December 2022. Opportunity to work onsite is preferred, however remote is also a possibility.
- Leverage human factors standards and best practices to inform new product designs and ensure concepts support safe, effective, and satisfying use
- Support the planning, conduct, and reporting of various user research activities, including ethnography, focus groups, formative usability tests, and HF validation (summative usability) tests
- Consolidate user feedback into meaningful design insights and actionable recommendations
- Perform thoughtful and thorough root cause analysis for use-related problems that arise during hands-on usability tests
- Understanding the use environments and participating in the creation of user workflows
- Understand the regulatory imperative for medical device human factors, including relevant human factors standards and guidance documents, such as IEC 62366 and FDA’s final HF guidance
- Contribute to human factors documentation, including formative and summative test plans and reports, expert reviews, use-related risk analyses, use specifications, known problems analyses, and Human Factors Engineering reports
- Author study documentation (e.g., informed consent forms, study participant recruitment screeners, moderator’s guides, use error checklists)
- Must be enrolled in a college/institution and pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in HFE, Usability Engineering, Cognitive Science, Mechanical Engineering, or Biomedical Engineering
- Only students in their 2nd year of bachelors or above will be considered
- Students must be authorized to work in the United States and not require sponsorship in the future.
- Availability for at least a 4-month co-op rotation•A minimum GPA of 3.0, with demonstrated leadership/participation in campus programs and/or community service activities
- An understanding of the research process (planning, execution, analysis and documentation); design project experience or user centered research is preferred
- Knowledge of human factors and design principles; working knowledge of task and risk analysis methods, human perception, and cognition; basic knowledge of anthropometrics, biomechanics and physiology
- Experience consolidating user feedback into concise, meaningful design insights and actionable recommendations. Experience performing root cause analysis for use-related problems is preferred
- Familiarity with FDA, ISO, AAMI, and other relevant usability regulations and standards for medical devices is highly preferred
Submit a resume that demonstrates research or design project experience, in-depth knowledge of human factors principles, and strong critical-thinking, problem solving, and communication skills.
What We Offer You:
- Collaboration & mentorship with experienced engineers striving to represent the voice of the user/patient/customer with empathetic and user centered designs
- Dynamic and respectful work environment where we live by the J&J Credo
- Challenging work that will push you to explore, ask questions, and grow as an engineer and a professional
- Experience working for global company
- Opportunity to have direct impact on billions of people
- Competitive compensation