As a Mechanical Design Intern you will apply engineering drafting principles and procedures in performing basic engineering drafting work. Develop drawings and models with information, close guidance, and direction provided by engineers and designers. This position coordinates with other design group team members to review and exchange project information necessary for design and development. Performs specific design functions for the project as assigned. Utilizes Operations Quality Assurance Manual, Operations Drafting/Design Standards Manual and Department quality standards and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop 3D models utilizing drawings, sketches, and design skills.
• Create and maintain plan, diagram and detail drawings.
• Develop the capability of navigating and checking in the 3D models for interferences and constructability.
• Resolve comments on checked drawings; understand and implement the comments made.
• Complete as-builts by utilizing RFIs, ECNs and red-marked drawings from construction to develop “Conformed to Construction Records” as required.
• Gather information needed to develop drawings.
• Create check packages with all applicable information to the work assigned.
• Learn and utilize all applicable Kiewit Engineering & Design Co. design and quality standards
• Learn and utilize applicable codes and standards to complete assignments.
• Carry out assignments carefully while focused on details.
• Perform assigned work efficiently and effectively to maximize personal productivity.
• Handle various assignments, including rework, in timely manner to meet schedule deadlines.
• Report work progress updates and/or issues to Lead Designer as required.
• Inform Manager and/or Lead Designer of project decisions that differ from Kiewit Engineering & Design Co. standards.
• Perform personal quality checks of the design in a team environment to ensure accuracy.
• Check design for consistency, safety, operability, and maintenance requirements before submitting to checking.
• Basic understanding of piping layouts and field drawings.
• Participate in meetings as required: i.e., Weekly Project Meetings.
• Proactive about learning new information and skills.
• Seek feedback and actively apply it.
• Able to receive limited instruction on routine work and detailed instruction on new assignment from more experienced designer.
• Adjusts to varying demands of work and performs well.
• Communicates effectively verbally and in writing. Present ideas clearly and in professional manner.
• Participates in team environment effectively. Accepts direction from the team. Individually contributes to success of the team.
• Supports project teams and departments in a positive and productive manner. Works well with other to accomplish common goals and objectives.
• Serves as point of contact for external or internal customers.
• Follows through on commitments made to internal and external customers.
• Able to manage multiple responsibilities with set expectations and meet deadlines.
• Entry to Intermediate AutoCAD skills.
Must be capable of utilizing a computer-aided drafting program (MicroStation, AutoCAD, NavisWorks, SmartPlant), and have a basic knowledge of the latest computer operating systems. Must be able to communicate through emails and utilize electronic meeting requests. Must have a working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma with Relevant coursework/experience or pursuing Associate/Bachelor’s degree in Computer Aided Drafting or relevant degree
May travel to a project site for tour.
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.