Lumen’s US Internship Program is a path for career readiness in the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Be a part of an internship program, driving human progress through technology. During a 10- week period our summer interns innovate and make an impact by transforming industries across the globe and changing the world one connection at a time. Our interns are presented with real business challenges and provide solutions that make a difference across all areas of the company, all while learning the skills needed to successfully navigate the modern workplace.
- Innovate – to deliver solutions to real business problems
- Transform – your skills and knowledge through challenging work projects
- Connect – to our company and culture creating valuable connections with your intern peers, work team and leaders across the organization.
- Impact – through Community & Social Involvement – collaborate with our ERGs to give back and make an impact in the communities Lumen serves.
The Main Responsibilities
As a Software Engineer in our Strategic Planning and Transformation team, the Intern will work as part of an engineering team providing support for the applications used by Lumen customers. These team members are vital to our business as they support our software and applications used to provide accurate service quotes and billing services to Lumen customers. The ideal intern will be familiar with, SAFe methodologies, GUIs and DevOps. They will also have a high level of engagement, take initiative, and come with curiosity not afraid to ask questions and seek answers to achieve project outcomes.
- Attend daily stand-up meetings
- Implements developer tools or product features under the direction of a senior developer.
- Tracks job assignments and complete status updates using internal tools.
- Refine and create dashboards to track incidents through to resolution. Identifying trends and process improvement opportunities.
- Work with Splunk and trouble queries
- Knowledge or interest in GUIs and DevOps
- Ability to write software and learn the latest software techniques
- Works in an Agile development methodology, attends standups, defines user stories, and implements development tasks.
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Rising senior or master’s level education status In pursuit of degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, or similar technical degree, at start of the internship, graduating August 2022 – May 2023.
Proficiency and understanding of;
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented software design.
- Some experience in one or more of Python, Java, C/C++/C# NoSQL and SQL
- Exposure to client frameworks like React or Angular, database design, knowledge of HTTP and web protocols are a plus.
- Exposure to REST/SOAP and JSON APIs, Cloud and web services
- Strong drive for results and taking initiative
- Ability to be resourceful and adaptable
- Ability to collaborate and have agility while making effective decisions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact with business partners and drive the conversation.
- Flexible and adapts well to change
- This position will be remote/ work from home.
- Intern must be able to work 30-40 hours be week during the 10-week program (June – August)
- US work authorization
What to Expect Next
After completion and submission of your application, you will be asked to participate in a virtual video interview. This on demand interview will be a way for Lumen to learn more about you and your experience as it aligns to the internship position. A separate email invitation will be sent to you (check your spam) within 6 hours of application. For continued consideration in the summer internship program, please ensure you complete the video interview within 5 business days of application. Thank you!