An agency on the move, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) takes great pride in connecting the Commonwealth’s residents and communities. Powered by a growing data-analytics discipline – and working in conjunction with municipalities, public agencies and the private sector – we’re finding new ways to improve the Bay State’s transportation infrastructure.
MassDOT interns have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the state. Duties include going on site visits, working on exciting and significant projects, and delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on transportation in the Commonwealth. The internship also provides an opportunity to network with professionals across the state.
The Engineering Internship Program typically runs 12 weeks from June through the end of August. Students must commit to a full-time schedule for the internship period.
Engineering interns will be assigned throughout the Highway Division and may assist MassDOT engineers in the following areas:
• Preparing plans, designs, specifications, and cost estimates for highway and bridge construction or maintenance projects.
• Providing data for the preparation of engineering or environmental reports and studies.
• Performing calculations such as those related to survey, traffic forecasting, soil capacity, groundwater flow, and quantity of materials.
• Analyzing changes in scope of work during design and/or construction of projects.
• Conducting field investigations in order to gather information needed to resolve construction, maintenance, environmental, or traffic problems.
• Reviewing applications for licenses or permits for the transportation of materials and for the construction of projects.
• Reviewing construction and service contract payment estimates and/or invoices for materials, equipment, and supplies.
• Inspecting construction operations, such as drainage, steel placement, paving, or concrete to ensure work is being performed according to specifications.
• Inspecting maintenance work, such as highway landscaping and repaving operations.
• Performing related duties such as writing memoranda, letters, or general reports; collecting and correlating engineering data; maintaining records; and operating technical equipment.
• Geocode- pull, redact, and analyze crash data to assist with evaluation of high crash locations and assist with performance of Road Safety Audits.
• Environmental compliance and permitting; including groundwater, stormwater, air, noise, wetlands, wildlife, climatology, hazardous materials, and waste.
• Assists in the biennial inspection of bridges as required. Work includes, but is not limited to, preparation for the inspection, actual inspection in the field, and compiling the final report.
At the end of the summer, engineering interns will be required to give a PowerPoint presentation on their experience working at MassDOT.
• Familiarity with AutoCAD.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office with strong Excel skills.
• Excellent verbal and analytical skills.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Specialist, Alaina Seitz, at email@example.com .
- At the time of hire, applicants must have completed 2 years of a bachelor’s degree in a related engineering field.
- Applicants must be enrolled full time in a degree program for the Fall 2021 semester.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered. For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call ADA Coordinator, Rita Dinunzio – (857) 368‐8738.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.