Are you interested in gaining hands-on experience within the Massachusetts Trial Court while helping underserved populations gain access to the court system? Are you concerned with social justice issues and don’t know where to start to help?
Consider joining us at our newest Court Service Center (CSC) at the Lowell Justice Center, for our Internship, Volunteer and Fellowship Program this fall. We will be operating both remotely and in person, which will allow you to assist in Lowell and other locations across the Commonwealth under the supervision of the attorney team.
You will learn about:
▪ Common legal issues in Probate and Family, District and Housing Court
▪ Challenges within the court system faced by members of underserved communities
▪ How to complete court forms
▪ Basic substantive and procedural law
▪ Social and legal services organizations
▪ Interviewing and triage skills
Duties may include the following:
▪ Greeting and triaging court users
▪ Identifying legal issues and needs
▪ Providing legal information in Family, Housing and Criminal law issues
▪ Helping court users complete paperwork
▪ Researching local resources
▪ Making referrals to legal aid, community organizations and court departments
▪ Developing plain-language self-help materials for litigants
What we are looking for:
▪ Experience or interest in working with people of diverse backgrounds
▪ Able to work independently as well as part of a team
▪ Able to remain calm under pressure
▪ Committed to learning about legal processes, the court system, and available resources.
▪ Experience or interest in customer service
▪ Commitment to public service
This unpaid position does require access to a computer and internet, and authorization to work or volunteer in the United States. The number of hours you spend with us is flexible (part-time or full-time). CSC work hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
***WE ARE COMMITTED TO CREATING AN ENVIRONMENT OF DIVERSITY, MULTICULTURALISM AND INCLUSION. CANDIDATES WHO SPEAK A SECOND LANGUAGE ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
NO LEGAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
Submit your resume and cover letter ON OR BEFORE AUGUST 27th, 2021 addressing the following questions to Connie Mortara, Attorney/Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
● Why do you want to work at the Court Service Centers?
● What paid or unpaid experience have you had that might prepare you for this position?
● What is your availability? (e.g., Tuesday & Wednesday all day)
About the CSCs: The CSCs are committed to providing access to justice to Massachusetts residents. We seek to provide comprehensive legal information and access to resources to court users without attorneys who have cases in Family Court, Housing Court and District Court. For more information about CSCs, visit https://www.mass.gov/service-details/learn-about-court-service-centers.