If you have an interest in serving the community while utilizing your technology experience, apply today. McLennan County Information Technology supports close to 1000 employees across our downtown campus and several remote sites. We strive to continually improve the standards and quality of service provided by our team. We are dedicated to protecting the integrity of the data and systems entrusted to our care by providing a secure network environment. We invest in providing cyber security awareness training to county employees, including incident response training for IT staff. Over the past three years, we have reduced the physical footprint of our data center by implementing a high-availability virtual infrastructure and migrating the bulk of our physical servers. It is our desire to continue our movement towards the latest technology solutions. We are committed to assisting Elected Officials and Department Heads in planning, coordinating, and implementing their technology projects. We work closely with our government bodies and vendors for reporting, data interfaces, business solutions and communications.
The Network Technician performs a variety of technical duties related to the installation and maintenance of the County computer network and communications hardware and software systems including network and application servers, routers, Firewall, LAN, WAN, Frame Relay, phone systems, in addition to mainframe and PC workstations. Responsible for the configuration and installation of network and internet security.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists in configuring, testing and maintaining the local and wireless area network infrastructure implementations for the purpose of ensuring effective, secure and efficient networking systems
- Installation and maintenance of switches, routers, firewalls, and other network connected devices
- Perform cabling and wiring (network and phone) across all county facilities
- Configuring and maintaining the McLennan County LAN
- Make sure all devices connected to networks are functioning properly
- Assists in performance tuning and capacity planning activities to enhance the performance of network resources and in maintaining network support software.
- Assists in maintaining the operating system and security software utilized on the network, including the addition of new users to the network and establishment of rights and privileges.
- Assists in identifying network intrusions, vulnerabilities, and attacks – executing solutions to continuously improve security for the County
- Assists in maintaining security of County network and proposing new technology and security policies as needed
- Assists in maintaining network performance via network monitoring, testing, and troubleshooting
- Maintain integrity of the network, servers, and desktop computers including security patches and updates when necessary
- Assists with network upgrades when necessary and confers with vendors and consultants as needed
- Understanding and adherence to CJIS security standards and maintaining McLennan County’s Audit Compliance from a technical aspect
- Responds to incident and support calls, and processes service requests and tasks
- Update the internal knowledgebase with issue resolution details
- Provide on-call support outside of normal office hours as required Performs related work as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Regular attendance and timeliness is required
- Associate’s degree in Network Administration, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Systems
SKILLS ~ EXPERIENCE:
- 2 years’ experience in network administration
- Must be able to construct, operate and maintain LAN and WAN Networks
- Must have knowledge of Firewall servers and basic rule setting programming
- Applicant must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills in dealing with users and ability to develop and maintain professional working relationships with county officials, department heads, subordinates, and co-workers
- Knowledgeable in MS Windows Server, Active Directory, DNS, TCP/IP, OSI Model, Cisco ASA and IOS, and ExtremeOS. Also knowledgeable in desktop operating systems, software, printers and scanners
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, especially the ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and observe safety regulations set forth by the Department of Public Safety
o Must be committed to achieving excellence in assigned duties, always in service of the county and community
o Must have ability to earn and keep the trust of fellow employees and the community at large
o Must be dependable as an encouraging force for team morale and in overall attendance
o Must be approachable and ready to help fellow employees and the general public
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: Individual works indoors and outdoors in what may be extreme temperatures.
PHYSICAL DEMAND REQUIREMENTS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to walk, climb ladders, crawl in narrow passage ways and other confined spaces .
HOURS / SPECIAL CONDITIONS: This position may be required to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the facility.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
McLennan County will conduct background checks on new hires that will include a criminal background check related to convictions and deferred adjudications in the past seven years and may include credit reports, motor vehicle records, employment records, and educational attainment. A conviction or deferred adjudication is not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered individually.
This position requires TLETS access, other disqualifiers apply. Visit http://www.tdcj.texas.gov/divisions/hr/hr-home/tletseligibility.html for additional information.