Michael Best is seeking Engineering and Science students who wish to explore the world of Intellectual Property to apply for a paid internship in our EDGE Program.
What we offer:
- Challenging work assignments including patent research and technical writing for cutting edge technologies
- Formal goal-setting and evaluations
- Paid training from experienced patent agents and attorneys and a generous weekly rate
- Opportunity to take ownership and control of your projects
- Networking events and social activities
- Client interaction as well as interaction with patent examiners at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Potential firm-sponsored travel to other Michael Best offices and remote work opportunities
Our interns perform tasks similar to our full-time Patent Engineers, Agents, and Scientists. We will teach you the basics of patent law through a training boot camp, including:
- What is a patent
- How to review invention disclosures and perform a patent search
- How to draft patent applications, including drafting specifications and preparing drawings
- What does patent prosecution entail, and how does the application process work…and more.
While working closely with our highly skilled engineers, patent agents, and patent attorneys, we will introduce you to patent law as t relates to various technologies and industries. A dedicated mentor will also help you set goals, manage projects, network, and access available resources to ensure your time spent at Michael Best is successful and rewarding. At the midpoint and end of your internship, your mentor will also meet with you to conduct a formal performance appraisal and provide valuable feedback.
- Enrollment in a bachelors or masters degree program
- Majoring in one of the following: electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer engineering, or computer science (majors in the life sciences are also accepted)
- Preferred graduation date of May or December of 2022 or 2023
- Passion for technology and a genuine interest in patent law (however, no previous experience necessary)
- Highly proficient research skills and demonstrated analytical ability
- Detail-oriented with excellent time management and follow-up skills
- Strong initiative to gain experience and take on challenges
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Valid authorization to work in the U.S.
Please include a resume, cover letter, (unofficial) transcripts, and a writing sample. As technical writing is an important aspect of this internship, it is helpful to submit a writing sample that includes technical content related to your area of study. However, any writing sample that demonstrates your ability to concisely describe an item, process, or idea can be submitted.