MicroDreams and SPBD are recruiting 3-4 interns to support various functional areas, including:
- Monitoring and reporting on microfinance institution (MFI) partners
- Marketing and communications
- Organizational development and operations
- Impact – measurement and evaluation (M&E)
- Social Performance Management (SPM)
- Fundraising / Development – both philanthropic donations and social/impact investments
- Governance and board development
This is an ideal internship for a highly motivated individual who wants to gain experience in the microfinance industry and non-profit organizational development, as well as exposure to various functional areas. This is an unpaid internship position and requires a minimum 8-week commitment.
Depending on an individual’s areas of interest and experience, responsibilities may include:
- Monitoring and reporting on microfinance institution partners – Analyze MFI partner performance and report findings to MicroDreams and SPBD management; Lead efforts to improve monitoring and reporting capacity and tools; Participate in meetings and support communication with MFI partners.
- Marketing and communications – Lead website content updates; Write, edit and publish content, including eNewsletters; Build presence in social networking platforms such as Facebook; Support the development of collateral materials for external audiences/stakeholders.
- Organizational development and operations – Work to improve operational process efficiency and improve operational consistency at the MFI level. Support the development and/or standardization of the operations manuals and client training manuals, develop training modules for staff and clients in the South Pacific, and create new tools to promote high-quality operations at all MFIs.
- Impact measurement and evaluation (M&E) – Assist with providing technical support to the SPBD network in relation to impact measurement and evaluation.
- Social Performance Management (SPM) – Assist with providing technical support to the SPBD network of MFIs in relation to the implementation of client protection initiatives; (See the SMART Campaign’s Client Protection Principles – http://www.smartcampaign.org/about/smart-microfinance-and-the-client-protection-principles).
- Finance – Support various initiatives, including financial analysis, reporting to the MIX, etc.
- Fundraising – Develop and implement strategies to support MicroDreams’ and/or SPBD’s fundraising efforts; Research prospective donors/investors; Assist in maintaining database.
- Governance and board development – Support planning for board meetings, attend meetings, and work with management/board members on follow-up action items; Maintain “dashboard” of key performance indicators (KPIs); Research and prepare briefs and recommendations on best practices in non-profit board development.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Working toward an MBA, MA, or BA in International Development, Economics, Marketing, Business, or another related field, or relevant work experience.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral. Must be able to express thoughts and opinions clearly and concisely.
- Ability to research topics and write high-quality briefs in English.
- Fluency in English is a must.
- Strong computer skills, proficiency in Excel applications.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Must be entrepreneurial and enjoy working in small, entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently.
- Ability to work under pressure and strong problem-solving abilities.
- Previous experience in or familiarity with microfinance preferred, but not required.
- Commitment to MicroDreams and SPBD values (of course!).